Part needed

My BIL needs some special parts made, and I'd like to help him out.
He has lights on his dune buggy that are mounted with a threaded rod through
a round base. The base is flat, but when the light is mounted to the roof,
the roof is slanted, so the lights shine down too close in front of the
buggy.
I need to find a piece of solid round aluminum or hard plastic or nylon that
I can drill a hole through the center, then slice off portions with one side
at ninety degrees, and the other at the proper angle to make it a tapered
spacer to bring up the light beam. Anyone got a piece of solid nylon stock
1 1/4" diameter, or aluminum the same diameter, or can tell me where I can
purchase such a small amount? Round would be nice, but I could also do it
with a piece of square.
There are three lights, and it would take three inches at max, but would
like a larger piece to be able to hold it in the band saw to cut the angles.
TIA
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Do you know the angle and center hole diameter? I've got some assorted stock and could probably make a few wedges and drop them in the mail. I'd also think you could probably get away with a piece of Sch80 PVC pipe from Depot/Lowe's from the irrigation sprinkler area.
Reply to
Pete C.
McMaster has 1" and 1-1/4" Delrin for $5 and $7 a foot. Sold per foot, 1 foot minimum.
SteveB wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Nylon cutting board, like for slicing cheese. Wal-Mart. $3.
-Frank
Reply to
Frank Warner
Hockey Pucks. Just use a wood jig with a hole in it to hold the puck while cutting.
We use them quite a bit to mount lights and brackets on different things.
Reply to
Steve W.
The hole would be drilled on center. Imagine taking a 1 1/2" long piece of 1 1/4" diameter, drilling a hole longitudinally through the center, then slicing it at the proper angle to get two exactly matching pieces. One end flat, the other cut at an angle. That's all I need. Be willing to pay for them, too. I can e mail pics of the lights, and you'll see how easy this part I want is.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Answer to various suggestions of cutting board and hockey pucks:
One side of the cylinder would be 90 degrees, the other at a measured angle. I COULD take a hole saw and cut a hockey puck or cutting board, but then I would have to take a belt sander or grinding wheel and make the other end angled. I think cutting a drilled rod would end up with clean parts, and be a lot easier.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
This has to take a lot of shock. Would Delrin stand up?
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Er, I understand the part, it's a simple tapered washer, the question is the exact dimensions.
Reply to
Pete C.
My guess from looking at it would be 1 1/4" diameter with the center hole 3/8". The thickness would be less than one inch on the high side.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
Check with McMaster-Carr or likewise. Ball washer sets can be purchased for tie down on mill tables. Just set the desired angle and tighten the stud.
Reply to
Tim
You can also buy tapered washers used when bolting things to I beams. They are steel so would have to be painted. You also might have to use two to get more angle.
Dan
Reply to
dcaster
Go buy some tapered alignment shims.(generally steel) Or go to your local Metal Supermarket of fabricator and ask for some drop-offs. Usually get them for just over scrap price - and sometimes even free. Use flat bar stock and slice it across corner, or aluminum or plastic rounds or square stock. Cut to the angle you need, then chop off square. Repeat as often as necessary. Square is easier to handle than round on the saw, as well as on the belt sander (for fine tuning)
I've got some in my garage up here in Waterloo Ontario, but would cost more to send to you than they are worth, even if you are as close as Toronto.
Reply to
clare