part out HNC - ping Gunner

I'm making room for the big backhoe by parting out a couple boneyard machines...

I moved the hardinge HNC into the shop and just got the headstock and spindle motor removed.

Next chore is the carriage. I'd like one piece if possible. can the entire unit slide off the dovetail? After a break I'm taking all the stuff off the tail end hoping this will work. Suggestions appreciated.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes, you can take the carraige off by sliding it off the end of the dovetail. If you have the coolant pump, you will probably have to remove it first. Pull the gib wedge from the slide, then remove the slide control box from the end of the slide (sometimes the wires may be long enough to hang off the end of the tray..sometimes not) and simply crank the slide off the end of the dovetail.

Be SURE to have a die cart/forklift or similar parked at the end of the dovetail...because that slide weighs about 150 lbs with turret etc etc and you will likely drop the heavy bastard if you try to remove it by hand.

One step that will REALLY help..is to remove the bolts that hold the front of the slide on..the portion that has the cranks/clutches on..and pull the last two out but for 3-4 threads and tap them until the entire assembly comes loose and drops loose, then carefully remove the last bolts and drop it into the tray. The front controls under the slide are bolted AND dowel pinned, so you may have to tap a bit, but its obvious when it comes loose and wont take much tapping.

This also helps get the slide free as some..some of the HCs had stops on the track under the dovetail. As a matter of course..I always drop the front of the slide..get all that stuff out of your way..then slide the rest off the dove tail.

Oh..slide motor wiring will need to be either cut, or disconnected from the control box at the right end of the slide. Dont be surprised if the wire is hardened to brass like rigidity. Simply cut the wire, as you really should replace it later if reusing and its common multiconductor.

Id strongly recommend keeping the entire slide, or parting it out on Ebay, if you are scrapping the machine. Btw...if the spindle bearings are in good shape..the stripped HC is worth about $500 to anyone who is looking to build an OmniTurn retrofit machine.

They are VERY accurate and very rugged and more than fast enough to make money with.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'm not following all of this. This is a CNC machine with ballscrews. Are you talking about an HNC here? I'm not seeing cranks and clutches.

Tis a bit of a shame to part this old girl out. I got the running machine cheap with a Camsoft license and a ton 'o tooling. I took the control off and a few solenoids and stuff from the air control cabinet. I need to rebuild the air turret on my running CHNC - I'm not sure if many parts are the same though.

How is the slide attached? I got TOTAL grundge looking up from inside the cabinet and can't see a thing. Must be held on by magic.

Anyway, I'm picking as many parts as I can easily remove and tossing the carcass. I know I only need to use a couple to pay for the whole machine. I'm sure you've seen hardinge replacement part prices.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You mean the CHNC...that makes a huge difference as you indicated...

The CHNC slide comes off pretty much the same way as I recall. Ive only serviced a few of them and quite some time ago.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 05:49:58 -0500, "Karl Townsend" wrote the following:

Carbonized swarf grunge. Ever pull an automotive intake manifold? That stuff, only it's softer there since there is no stranded swarf to hold it together.

I'll bet a hot water pressure washer would rescue you, Karl.

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I found out about this model the hard way. I thought I was buying a CHNC. Turns out its an HNC. Looks like hardinge's first venture into the CNC world. They took an HC, fitted it with ball screws and an air turret and a total POS control. A year or so later, it was upgraded and changed to CHNC with an allan bradley control to start (many others later). One fine machine, as you know.

Anyway, the HNC has several parts in common. And a lot more that look the same till you try to swap (bet they fit the HC). The CHNC machine weighs about double and the extra iron isn't going to waste.

I gave up on the carriage for the moment and I'm stripping everything below the table.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Have you ever pointed a hot pressure washer straight up into a filthy cavity? I don't need the slide that bad. This is one dirty job as it is.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Got pictures? I dont recall ever seeing an HNC

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Actually..yes I have. Tyvek suits are quite cheap

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sorry. it looks identical to older CHNC except you can see the coolant pump beside the tail end of the lathe and no large control cabinet behind the headstock. Headstock, slide, carrriage and plexiglss cover look identical to the CHNC. The control only ran a paper tape, no LED or CRT just lights, its on a separate cabinet like the CHNC.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sounds like a modified AHC

Slide comes off as I indicated, more than likely, with the exception of the servo on the Z axis.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

A big DOH! when I seen the problem. I loosened the adjusting wedge all the way and the carriage slid right off. Got the machine stripped of most everything of value. Now, all the parts will fit in an apple bin and go up in the pallet rack storage.

A big plus to a machine that ran oil, no rust anywhere.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Be sure to Spray the parts with LPS-3 or something similar. Many of the cutting oils are water soluble and will wash off surprisingly easy. Come back in 6 months and be totally shocked to find them covered with rust.

Clad to have been of help.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:14:40 -0500, "Karl Townsend" wrote the following:

Don't you have tubing, a bender, and ten minutes? 90 degree bent washer nozzle keeps you out of the "action area". ;)

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 09:22:54 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote the following:

Or simply lay dem puppies over and have at 'em.

Do a one-arm curl to right the little two ton lady after you're through. It's good exercise: Pumpin Arn!