Parts Diagram / Manual for a Monarch CK Lathe wanted

I just bought two Monarch CK lathes at an estate auction here in Austin, TX yesterday. I'll be taking delivery sometime in the next few days, but hauled what I could in the S-10 yesterday and today. WOW are these bits heavy... I'm a big guy, 6'3" and 245, and herking the tailstock around was about my limit... LOL From what I found online, it looks like the machine weight will be somewhere around 3500lbs... any idea if I'm insane to put these in my shop with only a 4" concrete slab? It's about a year and a half dry now, and got plenty of rebar reinforcement, but I never dreamed of putting a machine like this in there.

One of the lathes is completely in bits, but is supposed to all be there, or mostly all be there. The plate in a bit tricky to read, but I think it says that it's a "12 CK" model. The swing says 14.5" I believe, and center is either 40" or 60", I can't make it out well enough tho. For MFGR's No. it is a bit easier to make out, I think it says 23007.

The second machine, well it's missing a bunch of bits... saddle, tailstock, carriage... but the taper, headstock, apron, and ways are all there and look to be in decent condition, tho there are a few busted levers either from falling on it's face or being hit by something I guess. The second one was parts for the first.

The one that is dissasembled was to be the old owners eventual prize lathe. He had an awesome shop, with another Monarch (much bigger) in there that he obviously used and took terrific care of. The restoration project had been going for a while. He'd had the ways reground, and the whole thing painted, unfortunatly a white and baby blue, I see soem battleship grey painting in my future.

Never owned a big machinetool like this, and the only reason I picked it up was because of the price (I got both lathes for under $300) and figure if I can't get it up and running, I could always part 'em out. Still, I'm gonna give 'er a go and see what I can do.

Pictures will be forthcoming, once I've gotten delivery... Of course, I'll need to figure out the whole power supply issues, as I'm sure there is a three phase motor in there, but from what I've read it's not overly difficult or terribly expensive to build a converter.

If anybody has any sort of documentation on how this CK goes together, I'd be much obliged. I've been searching all over for PDF's and the like, and thus far, haven't come up with much that I'd consider helpful. :(

Reply to
Das Wookie

has a very active Monarch forum

Mark

mark

Ok - think of this you lucky duck!

I know a person - nice guy really - that has 100 or more (REALLY) tanks in his three shops and when I was there last had two more in the repair shop. The largest private collection in the world - and none for the movies or junkies. The Army... Marines come to him to look over this and that because he has a fully working model - if not functional - it is made that way - casting parts..... ( I have some pictures...)

Back to the story - tanks - heavy suckers - think pounds per sq inch. #/in^2.

Look at the feet - are there 4 ? - how big are the pads ? - make larger 1/2" steel pads that take the load and spread it across the floor. A 4x4" is 16 sq inches - so

4000/4=1000#'s per foot or 1000/16 = 63 psi! easy! Just make strong/stiff steel pads or have them made. From the tops - is where you level the lathe.

Oh - the guy is made of money - flys around the world looking for new models - finds them in bottoms of rivers.... in the Jungle...

Martin

Mart> I just bought two Monarch CK lathes at an estate auction here in

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn