PC problem

3.5" 1.44 mb floppy drive; Upon accessing the drive containing a known good floppy it causes immediate shutdown. Then the message: "Non-system disk- replace and hit any
key to continue". Replacing the disk with another known good floppy yields the same results and the same message. Removing the disk and hitting any key would result in what appeared to be a normal reboot of the PC and a message "Your system has recovered from a serious error".
I replaced the floppy drive with a new one but the problem remains the same. In Setup, the floppy drive is #1 boot choice so rearranging the boot order is not a fix; i.e., it would do nothing to repair the problem with the floppy drive Suggestions please....
Bob Swinney

Is the "known good" floppy disk bootable? FORMAT a: /s?
Write down your setup choices, then temporarily make C: the first (or only) boot device and test the floppy drive further. Likely suspects are dust or a loose cable connector, also floppys do deteriorate with age, recently I've had some old Win98 boot disks fail after a couple of uses.
At least your problems don't spray hydraulic oil like mine.
jsw
Jim sez: "Is the "known good" floppy disk bootable? FORMAT a: /s?"
Yes, the good floppys are the same ones we've used for a long time. Also a brand new formatted floppy will cause the same problem.
Bob Swinney
wrote:

Write down your setup choices, then temporarily make C: the first (or only) boot device and test the floppy drive further. Likely suspects are dust or a loose cable connector, also floppys do deteriorate with age, recently I've had some old Win98 boot disks fail after a couple of uses.
At least your problems don't spray hydraulic oil like mine.
jsw
Robert Swinney wrote:

If the floppy is only used for data storage, how about a USB external floppy drive?

Mike sez: "If the floppy is only used for data storage, how about a USB external floppy drive?"
I considered that but SWMBO wants to maintain original operation of "her" drive.
Bob Swinney
Robert Swinney wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:
(...)

Can you swap in a tested floppy cable?
--Winston
On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:33:32 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

If you have USB, why bother with a floppy???? I haven't used a floppy in over 3 years.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

To move data to a system without a USB port.

Good for you. I still have over 100 spare drives, and a couple thousand new floppies to repair older equipment.

On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:35:59 -0500, "Robert Swinney"

A friend had a similar problem once with a new (home built) machine. Turned out the drive was installed upside down, which is actually pretty easy to do with a 3.5" floppy. I thought I was pretty smart about diagnosing such things, but I dicked with it for a couple of hours before it dawned on me to put the disc in the other way around and, presto.
Wayne
snipped-for-privacy@citlink.net wrote:

A FLOPPY drive? They still exist? WoW...
What OS do you have? If it is ME/XP/Vista You likely have the auto-run "feature" engaged along with auto detection of media. Are the disks involved boot-able ones? Does this happen if you stick an un-formatted one in?
If it only does it with boot discs then the autodetect is probably running the boot file on the disk. Then it hit's the error because the OS is not on there. Also with XP/Vista the boot disks created on those machines use the OLD 98 boot info. As such they may not look for the drive your OS is on.
--
Steve W.

first go to CMOS and delete your floppy drive, boot up, then boot down, go back into CMOS and change it to 1.44 floppy installed, then reboot.
Its possible..just possible that your controller card/section has taken a shit but try the CMOS route first, then a Windows repair.
Everything else work ok?
Gunner

I've tried 3 floppies in a row that were bad. I'd lean to the controller.
Format a new disc with your OS. If it reads, format error with tried discs. If it doesn't format or read, prolly MB floppy drive is puked. JR Dweller in the cellar
Robert Swinney wrote:

Robert Swinney wrote:

My guess is that one of the DLLs has gone stale, or possibly has a conflict with a newer DLL that has been loaded for some app. You didn't notice the system corruption until you loaded a floppy and that DLL was executed. Possibly a virus, possibly there is a real hardware problem in the motherboard's floppy interface. It is also possible that a change to some BIOS setting has made the floppy controller cause this problem. You could try resetting the BIOS to factory settings. Make sure to copy your hard drive parameters if they are not set to Auto.
Jon

At first I didn't understand your complaint, but now it triggers an old memory of a virus or such that causes a reboot whenever you access the FDD. A data disk that lacks the hidden system files will give you that boot error message. I may have read about it here: http://www.pchell.com /
You could try running "sfc /scannow" to check your important Windows files for corruption. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_File_Checker
jsw
The floppy driver might have some un-wanted software attached.
Can you delete the hardware and install it again ?
Martin
Robert Swinney wrote:

Thanx to all responders. The Geek-on-Wheels came out today and confirmed the problem is in the mother board.
Bob Swinney