Pictures of moving a good sized lathe

My friend bought a South Bend Series "O" built circa 1928-1930 with a

13" swing and a 60" bed an hour from his house and wanted to bring it home. He called up the riggers and they were perfectly happy to haul it for him but they wanted substantially more than it cost because of the distance.

I took a series of pictures that I have posted on the web at:

I have heard rumors of a metalworking.com drop box and I will move the pictures there when I get around to it. I figure I will leave them here for a month or two (more like a year or two at the rate I do things on the web).

Check it out.

Regards, /RC Bryan

Reply to
RC Bryan

This is great stuff!!

Just the way I would have done it. Actually when I did my 10L south bend, it was simply spiked to some timbers, and then dragged onto a similar trailer with a come along, and then the trailer was tipped up at the other end.

One suggestion for future moves, remove the chuck from the spindle! I think you probably could have reduced the lathe's weight by about 25 percent by doing that!

:^)

Jim

jim rozen

Ha.........

One suggestion, instead of that single last link to the organ speaker pics, he might have provided an additional link to something like this :

Glad to see the move went well, though--it is obvious it was carefuly planned.

Cheers.................

........AND...........

Happy new years.

Reply to
"PrecisionMachinisT"

We worked and worked to get the chuck off the spindle. It was just not going to move. His idea was that you need to provide a small piece of wood for the chuck to bump against, get the spindle moving and try to knock the chuck loose. After 20-30 tries with this, we had a pretty beat up piece of wood but the chuck was not going anywhere. When last seen, he was working a duct tape and plastic bag reservoir to soak it in Kroil penetrating oil. Personally, I figure once you get it home, if you NEED to take it off, work to take it off otherwise, just leave it on and use it as is. I have screwed up more stuff taking it apart just to see what was inside than I like to admit.

After we got it on the wheels, I thought we might have done well to have left much of the stuff on that we took off. It moved pretty easy. The motor was big and off center; that had to go but the assembly the motor was mounted on would not have made that much of a difference.

The wheels were a little overkill. With the come-along and the block and tackle, we could have skidded it on the beams with or without rollers. The wheels made it something one person can move without effort.

Regards, /RC Bryan

Reply to
RC Bryan

Either the last person to put it on ran it on under power, or maybe there's some rust in there. One way is to lock the back gears, and place a piece of square stock in the chuck, and apply a large wrench to the stock to gently, smoothly apply force. Once the wrench is loaded up, tap the wrench with a brass hammer to give some shock to it.

Be sure that back gear lever cannot slip out during this operation, on those lathes it's basically held in by friction.

If this does not work, it really is better to unbolt the chuck off the backplate, and machine the backplate off the spindle nose. Backplates are *way* cheaper than replacement back gear parts, which for that particular late, is sort of a non-issue, because you would never be able to *find* any back gear parts for it, to purchase!

Then they were not overkill at all. If they made the move that easy, you did the right thing. Basically you built a king-sized dolly, right under the lathe.

Jim

jim rozen

I looked around and didnt see any pictures of a big lathe, only that lil bitty Southbend

First thing I would have done is pulled the legs off. Period, End program, full stop. Then it could be bolted to skids etc as is.

But great pictures and pretty good moveing tips.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"

Reply to
Gunner

A Wedgie!