Ping DoN

I've been trying to get through for several days but keep getting "Error 554: Relay Access Denied".

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I've experienced the same thing with DoN in the past. I finally just quit trying and talked to him through RCM.

Harold & Susan Vordos

Still doesn't work. I know they're reaching my ISP since I can send one to another email address of mine. Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I've replied to both of these via e-mail, and the e-mail seems to be going only one way. I need more data to attempt to diagnose the problem.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hmm. I didn't seem to get the second reply. I just tried again using the web mail interface instead of agent.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Interesting -- I sent it just before posting this, so the e-mail should have reached you first.

Anyway -- has there been any kind of change in your ISP's mail server that you know of?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

snip........................ .......................

Reply to
Old Nick

Well ... I've found out why. Your ISP is now rejecting messages to you form me -- in a similar complaint to what you got trying to send to me.

However, your last e-mail reached me. I've sent a reply to that, including quoting the whole of the headers from the bounce. Just in case that does not make it, here is a trimmed version:

And a "dig" on the above IP address returns (in part):

====================================================================== ;; ANSWER SECTION:

14.205.51.66.in-addr.arpa. 1D IN PTR mail.dslextreme.com. ====================================================================== *your* ISP.

So -- your ISP thinks that *you* don't exist.

I suspect a misguided attempt to improve spam blocking. :-)

You may wish to pass this on to them.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It should still be valid.

This suggests an overly busy choke point somewhere between here and there. Yesterday, at least, some parts of the net were severely overloaded.

Or it could have been one of the points during which the machine in question was *very* busy -- processing spam. :-)

O.K. I'm not blocking that IP or that system name.

And a test forging a mail exchange using the "Return-Path: " components and my e-mail address as recipient shows no problems.

So -- I suspect the net congestion, and it may well clear up next time you try. (Or it may not, and there is nothing that I can do about it.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Get a free

email address. Or even a hotmail one (also free) 250 megs of storage, Great spam blockers, 10 meg email download size limits for big attachments

And you can check your email from any browser anytime, anyplace.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Your email reached me as did Dons response to what I sent via the web mail interface. However I don't seem to be able to email to you or Don via Agent. I'm going to have to do some investigating.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I did get your response to my web mail send. Sounds like it's on this end for some reason.

I wasn't informed of anything but I've not had time to check.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

[ ... ]

Wayne has a web-based mail service from his IPS, along with the POP connected Agent. It appears to be a problem with the POP connection, *and* (sometimes) with incoming mail.

I, personally, can't stand to use a web-based mail interface (or for that matter to use a web based news poster), and I run my own mail server, so deliveries are automatic to my mailbox on my systems, whenever they come in.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 14 Dec 2004 01:05:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

These were tries over a couple of weeks, Don. I thought others were also saying they could not get through. Sorry if I musunderstood.

Reply to
Old Nick

What he's saying is that I've got access to all my email accounts in web format if I want to use it (which I really don't but will till I get a chance to correct this situation, I'm completely and totally swamped around here at the moment).

On the other hand Don runs his own web and email servers in house. He does not want to and will not use anything except what he's got on hand for several reasons one of them security.

Only as a complete last resort. There's been many times in the past when I've filtered all email from hotmail and other services like that due to the high flow of spam from them.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Wayne can, and I mentioned that he h ad a web-based mail service from his ISP. I can't, because the mail is stored on my own systems, and I will not run a web-based server to (possibly) expose my e-mail to others, when I have no need of it.

The SMTP gets the mail from his ISP's mail server to my mail server (one of my machines in my house) -- Or doesn't, when his mail server thinks that an attempt at unauthorized relaying is being made. :-)

Another thing that can block things at my end is if the IP address or the envelope sender (usually shows up as "Return-Path: " in the headers) happens to be in one of my anti-spam blocklists. But that is checked, and is not the problem here.

The spammers think so, as well. There are currently 4893 hotmail addresses which have been used to send me spam (most of them forgeries, but some real) which are in my "envelope sender" blocklist. A set of typical "usernames" from that blocklist includes:

zulu20042004 zumejempark zupnhaokwppmch zuu_finan4 zvrurku zwdrkngni zwjmmroyev zwsfof zwvrl526w zwvtrvztey zxbbl zxtqotprw

By contrast, there are only 3460 msn entries in the blocklist, and only 397 rr.com ones.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

There was one other -- but it appears to be a problem with his ISP's mail server. It gets tangled up trying to prevent spamming, apparently, and thinks that his account does not exist, or that my system does not exist (or at least, it thinks that an attempt is being made to relay mail through the ISP's mail server, when it is really (or should be) normal mail processing. :-)

Have you tried in the last few days?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All I was suggesting was if you needed to send something back and forth that tends to get waylayed, was to get a free

account and use it. I have one and use it as a temp or blind pig second email addy. Not to convert all your email over to something web based.

Just set it up for the odd usage here and there as needed.

The myway account has particularly good spam filters. In the two years Ive maintained this account, Ive gotten 6 pieces of spam. Period

Shrug..ymmv

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where." Scipio

Reply to
Gunner

On 15 Dec 2004 22:33:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Sorry about the slow reply. I had _news_ problems, and lost the thread until you posted this.

tested just now.

Reply to
Old Nick