pipe jaws

I need to fabricate a hydraulic clamp for a pipe, and trying to find the
best way to grip onto a 2 7/8" pipe. I was looking at pipe jaws for a
vise but not sure if they would work that great. I was looking at the
below link for ease of fabrication and price because they have the thru
hole in them.

Also looking at (what seems to be) bigger pipe jaws

but they really don't give too much information on what they are or how
they work.
If anyone has any info or suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.
-Tom
Reply to
tnik
You might want to explain what the purpose of gripping the pipe is. Is it to hold it horizontal so the pipe can be machined? -jim
tnik wrote:
Reply to
jim
Yea, my bad. It's actually a clamp to hold drill pipe vertically on small drill rig. Two clamps are needed, lowest clamp will hold onto a bracket to keep the drill in line, and an upper clamp will grip the pipe when they are taking it out of the ground to break the screwed joints.
Reply to
tnik
here is a replacement.
Reply to
jano
Is this 2-7/8" drill pipe? does it have tool joints or smooth? If tool joints then can't you use normal elevators? See
examples.
(Or am I trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs ?-)
Cheers,
John B.
Reply to
john B.