Polishing dark iron

Often times, I come across a metal part or surface that used to be shiny, but has acquired a bit of rust. After "rust removal" with a wirebrush, there is no rust (duh), but the surface is dark colored instead of shiny. It is smooth to touch, but does not have the original reflective appearance.

My question is how can I restore it, is it as difficult as restoration of virginity, or doable? Any polishing wheels that can accomplish that? I would prefer something that can go on an angle grinder.

Ignoramus7018

Welcome to the world of rust bluing. What you are seeing in common. It used to be the common way to blue parts as well. You would polish the part very well, then apply an agent that produced rust at a rapid rate. You would let it rust then brush it off. Then rust some more, then repeat til you hit the shade you wanted.

To get back the polished look you could use a fine abrasive flap wheel, or something like cratex.

Reply to
Steve W.

A flap disk in your angle grinder.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

A fairly rapid way to remove this coloring while still preserving most of the polished surface is to use emery buffing compound. Most good hardware stores sell the stuff. It comes in stick form in a cardboard tube about 1 inch dia. and about 3 1/2 inches long. A common designation for this compound is E5. Use with a cotton or sisal buffing wheel. It cuts remarkably fast while still leaving a pretty good finish. Eric

Reply to
etpm

That's blue as in firearms-type blue. Still iron oxide. It'll polish off, you can remove it with HCL or bluing remover, vinegar and salt(makes HCL), or acid of choice. Then you get to repolish.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I like these (top two items):