Portable band saw - used vertically

I just purchased a variable speed, deep cut Milwaukee Portable Band Saw for cutting metal. I know how it was intended to be used but would like to adapt this tool for cutting in a vertical position. I have seen the commercial horizontal cut off adapter but that isn't anything like what I need. I want to anchor the tool in an upright position and fit a small table around the blade to cut small ( less than 3") metal parts, guiding the part with my fingers. I do not have the room or the budget to buy a regular big metal cutting bandsaw. Does anyone know if such an adapter is produced or has been fabricated by anyone or am I on my own here?

If I am on my own, I would either start with my own new design or I might think about modifying the horizontal accessory to operate in the vertical position. I'd rather have someone tell me that there is a commercial product out there to do this. Any suggestions?

Jack in NM

Reply to
purson

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote in article ...

If memory serves me correctly (I'm approaching 60 years-old, so I sometimes wonder) I read an article on building a rig to hold such a saw to be used as a stationary/horizontal/vertical saw in either "Machinist's Workshop" or "Home Shop Machinist" somewhere in the last couple of years.

or

*

Been there, done that. I had the saw & stand. When I stood it up, the saw teeth went *up*. Not conducive for comfortable & accurate cutting. So think about the blade direction when you design your mount.

I really think you'd be better off buying a 4x6 saw for vertical cutting. See

for more information.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I built a stand for mine and vertical use was mostly a side effect. 8-) I designed it with an adapter fastened to the saw such that the saw could easily be removed from the stand. And as an afterthought I made a piece to hold that adapter upright. Not at all helpful, I know, so take a look here:

jpg is a composite, so turn off your browser's shrink-to-fit option)

HTH, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I've got the same saw, and just clamp the handle in the big bench vise. Haven't bothered to make an accessory table since I am mostly cutting pieces off larger plates or sheets, but it wouldn't be hard to make one from some aluminum plate, then drill and tap a couple holes to fasten it down to the "foot" (I guess you'd call it) that serves as a stop when you use the saw normally.

Use a small spring clamp to hold down the trigger.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I did the same thing. The foreward handle on your saw is probably mounted with two very stout bolts. Remove the handle and hang the tool from that point.

I welded up a simple upsidedown "L" shaped structure from some 2"x2"

125 wall thickness square tubing. (Like a hangmans gallows) Then mounted it to an "H" shaped base of the same material. I bought about 6' of steel The steel cost me $18. I made my table from some Canvas phenolic I had laying around.

The only drawback to this setup is that all the metal chips end up inside the saw.

Reply to
ScaryArt

Did you consider turning the saw upside down?

Reply to
ScaryArt

I did the same thing with a bandsaw head I found at the junkyard...It works great...

Reply to
kbeitz

I bought 3 of these at an auction last year (mini gloat) and plan to do the same thing with one of them. I have my 4x6 horizontal set up for vertical cutting right now, but its not convenient to change it back to horizontal.

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

How so, Mike? The only "adaptation" my 4x6 requires for vertical work is to install the larger table with two flathead screws. That's maybe a 30-second operation.

Mine's one of the Chinalloy generics.

Funny story with that saw. I have one new motor for it left. (huh?) Roughly a month after it was new from MSC, it burned out. Customer service was nice, and the next day I received a HEAVY box with - count 'em - THREE new motors.

Called 'em back and explained. They told me to keep them. The shipping costs would have been too large a portion of their cost to make it worthwhile!

So, the twelve year old machine's on its third non-thermally protected motor for about four years. And there's still one on the shelf waiting.

Despite its lousy quality, that saw is the best $199 I ever spent.

LLoyd

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I made a "table" for mine that's about 2" square and is permanent. That size is small to not interfere in horizontal mode and provides all the support I need in vertical mode. For the mechanics of cutting, you only need support at the cutting edge. A larger table only keeps the stock steady. Which I don't need for the small pieces that I cut in vertical. If you need to cut large pieces in vertical, the 4x6 is probably too small anyhow.

YMMV, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Loyd, Maybe its my kharma, but it is always set up for the opposite of what I need to do. I does a great job cutting horizontal, and I have the extra saw(s).

-Mike

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
mlcorson

I have had one rigged that way for almost 20 years. I used a piece of 3/4 plywood taller than the saw so that I can catch the bottom of the ply in a carpenter vise. I used a metal bracket similar to a fire extinguisher bracket to get a snug hold of the top handle. I used custom shaped wood blocking to surround each side of the motor case/switch handle area. The weight of the saw is all that holds it in, but it has never been a problem. I have the switch wired in the on position and plugged into a switched receptacle. The saw comes with an 1/8" wide "table". I keep a piece of 2x2 aluminum angle with the saw blade kerf cut into it's flat top attached to the factory shoe with a c-clamp vise grip. This thing stays up full time, but comes off the board very easily to use it as designed, pop off the vise grip and shoe extension and release the trigger switch. The tool gets used almost every day. I own a horizontal band saw, but do more quick and small cuts with the portable band.

If you can't envision the rig, I will see about taking a photo or two.

___________________________ Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

Reply to
DanG