portable light for shop/ garage

I just ordered a couple of outdoor flood lights from Aliexpress. They are 50w led lights and are suppose to put out 4500 lumens. I plan on using th
em instead of a 500w halogen light. A 500 w halogen light puts out about t wice as many lumens, but the eye sensitivity is a log function so the led lights will seem almost as bright.
The lamps I ordered are intended for non portable installations so I will h ave to put on a electric cord. And they are not super efficacy. They are 50 watt lamps and put out 4500 lumens so do not break any records for lumen s per watt. But do win on cost . About $ 3.60 each delivered.
If you search for them , look for " flood light 110v " A lot of the fl ood lamps from China are for 220 volts.
I bought mine from " Shop 5389360 store ".
Dan
On 12/12/19 9:40 am, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

That seems like a very low price. These things need a *substantial* heatsink and/or forced air - the LED alone will die almost instantly.
We have a fixed 50W LED flood for the back yard, and it's incredible for that porpoise.
I wouldn't want one in the garage (8' ceiling) because it's just too much light from one very small region. You get dazzled by reflections from everywhere and can't see anything in the deep shadows.
I think shop lighting needs to come from many angles - like multiple long flouro tubes or the LED equivalent. If you have a very high ceiling (15' or more) it would be different, but then you probably still need at least four separate fittings.
Clifford Heath
On 11/12/2019 22:46, Clifford Heath wrote:

Painting the walls white helps a lot also. It made an amazing difference to the light in a mates garage with the same lights the white paint made the whole area more usable and illuminated. In my garage it had been wired with double lamp ballasts but only one light was connected to each ballast but the extra fluorescents were already in place as all came out of the local gas board office when they renovated. Connecting all the extra lamps made the difference as you could then walk into the garage from a sunny day outside and not have to wait for your eyes to adjust to the lower light level.

Yeah, white walls and ceiling make a nice bright shop. Painting the floor white has two benefits, too. The first is the added bounce of light. Second, when you drop Jesus clips, they're much easier to find.
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 5:46:55 PM UTC-5, Clifford Heath wrote:

That is why I posted. I think it is a very low price. The lamp is a 5 by 10 matrix of leds so for a 50 watt fixture it has one watt for each led. And the housing is an aluminum casting. May not be substantial enough but I think it will be okay.

The garage has three bays and the currently has a 1500 lumen light bulb in each bay. But that is not enough light. especially if one is working unde r a car or lawn tractor. You may be right, it might not be an improvement, but it will not have cost too much to try it out.
Dan

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 09:46:49 +1100, Clifford Heath

I have a pair of flat panel "flood light" bulbs on the ceiling, a 4 foot LED strip over the lathe and 6 60-watt replacement LEDs on the garage door opener. Ceiling is 11 feet. No problems with brightness of the lighting dazzling.