propane tank won't open

On Thursday, July 1, 2021 at 8:04:04 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote in alt.home.repair:

Are you certain that you want to open the tank?
On 5/7/21 9:45 am, bruce bowser wrote:

I opened an expired propane tank once, using a very large breaker bar. The brass fittings were soldered in to the steel tank, so it needed a lot of torque to break the solder joint.
CH

They are not soldered - it's just pipe compound - often with lead. I have made a toot to remove the valves and have removed numerous valves to convert to air tanks, reclaimer tanks, and bead inflators.
On 7/4/2021 4:45 PM, bruce bowser wrote:

Wish I'd seen the original post.
We used to have a tool that threaded into the valve for removing valves. Last time I saw it was probably 35-40 years ago. It was a two piece tool, but it had a really long handle. The big problem was the same as it always was. Securing the tank so it wouldn't spin when breaking loose and removing the valve.
https://www.avg.com

A couple goof cargo straps wrapped around the tank holding it to a big plank works.