Bendix gear end clamp

Hello Gents, I took the starter out of my John Deere 440. It's got some weird clamp thingie that holds the bendix gear onto the shaft. Picture here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdir8rn40pbjhk8/Bendix-end.jpg?dl=0
Any idea what it is and how to get it off? Thx, George H.
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:17:27 -0700 (PDT)

No clue... but this may be a new assembly here for ~$36
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313408263733
Maybe try contacting them?
I noticed other very similar looking, if not the same for sale there too...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 11:50:25 AM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

Hmm that looks to have the same 'cut out' on the end...

Thanks. Yeah I ordered a new drive. https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/John-Deere-440_Starter-Drive_565549.html Maybe I'll be able to figure it out when the new drive arrives... (It looks like there is a key way on the shaft.)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
<snip>

Went searching on "old delco-remy bendix removal" and found this ;-)
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/delco-remy-starter-restoration-1953-minneapolis-moline-and-many-others.47100/page-2
Lots of pictures, discussion... and it sounds like you may need a Bearing separator/puller...
Dates are from around a year ago so you could probably still ask some questions too :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 2:02:36 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

Awesome! Thanks... I've got some reading to do! I've also got some serious wear on a few (~10) teeth of the fly wheel drive gear. (I ordered a new gear as well, but I'm hoping that I can get the starter working with out having to put in a gear... dropping the motor.)

Hmm I've got bearing pullers, but it looks like I might have to buy something like that 'split pie plate with a hole in it' tool. Anyway back to the shop. Thx again, George H.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 2:02:36 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

OK got it off. Now waiting for the new part. George H.
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 13:15:01 -0700 (PDT)
<snip>

COOL! :)
So many times it isn't a difficult problem or thing to do but understanding exactly what needs to be done... Wish I had a dollar (used to be nickel, inflation...) for every time I broke something trying to figure out the trick to getting it apart...
Not tried it... but heard of guys adding brazing rod to damaged gear teeth as filler, then filing/grinding to needed profile.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 6/29/2021 2:14 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:

...or getting it back together. I had an old Dust Buster handheld vacuum whose battery was no longer holding much charge. I decide to take it apart to see if I could replace the battery. Right before I did, I was using it heavily and really running down the charge, and for some reason it seemed to start charging better again ? not like when it was new, but much better. So I got it apart, figured that the style of battery probably wasn't replaceable, and tried to reassemble it. I could not get it back together for the life of me. $60 or so dollars later, I have a newer (and much better) Dust Buster. But I'm irked I couldn't manage to reassemble the old one.

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 5:14:32 PM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

Re Brazing rod and grinding...Sounds like a pain and not skills in my wheel house. It's a pretty small 2-cyl. engine, and maybe not that hard to drop it. (Much of the engine area is covered with decades of grim and could use some TLC... maybe even fix some of the leaky grim joints. :^)
George H.
"George Herold" wrote in message
Re Brazing rod and grinding...Sounds like a pain and not skills in my wheel house. It's a pretty small 2-cyl. engine, and maybe not that hard to drop it. (Much of the engine area is covered with decades of grim and could use some TLC... maybe even fix some of the leaky grim joints. :^)
George H. -------------------------------
Another application for brazing is restoring eroded starter contacts. The brass didn't last as long as the original copper but it was simple to do over again.
I keep vehicles that I like in good condition until finding parts becomes difficult, although I check out new ones every few years. Monday the salesman told me my 21-year-old car was in the best shape he'd ever seen, mainly thanks to my rust repairs and new headlights. Then he told me about the lower reliability of the more complex newer models, as he had previously sold that brand.
On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 7:36:21 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Sounds good. Around here (Buffalo NY) the salt used in the winter is the death of car bodies. One thing great about old tractors is you still can get parts for them. George H.
"George Herold" wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 7:36:21 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote: ...
Sounds good. Around here (Buffalo NY) the salt used in the winter is the death of car bodies. One thing great about old tractors is you still can get parts for them. George H.
-------------------
I'm downwind of you in NH with the same salt problem, from less snow and maybe more ice.
How bad is that front that you're under and we're due for?
George good luck with the tracter. On another vein, about 4 years ago you mentioned ordering one of the less than $100 signal generators using Analog Device's adf4351. Did you get one? and how did it work? I'll probably be needing one soon and any reccomendations would be helpful.
Hul

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message
George good luck with the tracter. On another vein, about 4 years ago you mentioned ordering one of the less than $100 signal generators using Analog Device's adf4351. Did you get one? and how did it work? I'll probably be needing one soon and any reccomendations would be helpful.
Hul
-----------------
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/testing-a-frequency-synthesizer-with-an-rtl-sdr/
https://sigrok.org/wiki/BG7TBL
https://www.sdrplay.com/
I built prototype digital radios in the 1990's and have a ham radio license but haven't pursued it much as a hobby.
Thanks Jim. I'll take a look. Regarding the first, do you know what a rtl-sdr is? Not a resistor transtor logic device?
Hul

On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 13:01:26 -0000 (UTC)
<snip>

Not Jim but...
This web site is pretty good with supplying info:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com
It is basically a software programmable radio. Can be easily customized to do all sorts of nifty stuff by programming. Like spectrum analyzer, FM narrow or wide-band radio...
==What is RTL-SDR? RTL-SDR is a very cheap ~$25 USB dongle that can be used as a computer based radio scanner for receiving live radio signals in your area (no internet required). Depending on the particular model it could receive frequencies from 500 kHz up to 1.75 GHz. Most software for the RTL-SDR is also community developed, and provided free of charge.
The origins of RTL-SDR stem from mass produced DVB-T TV tuner dongles that were based on the RTL2832U chipset. With the combined efforts of Antti Palosaari, Eric Fry and Osmocom (in particular Steve Markgraf) it was found that the raw I/Q data on the RTL2832U chipset could be accessed directly, which allowed the DVB-T TV tuner to be converted into a wideband software defined radio via a custom software driver developed by Steve Markgraf. If you've ever enjoyed the RTL-SDR project please consider donating to Osmocom via Open Collective as they are the ones who developed the drivers and brought RTL-SDR to life.
Over the years since its discovery RTL-SDR has become extremely popular and has democratized access to the radio spectrum. Now anyone including hobbyists on a budget can access the radio spectrum. It's worth noting that this sort of SDR capability would have cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars just a few years ago. The RTL-SDR is also sometimes referred to as RTL2832U, DVB-T SDR, DVB-T dongle, RTL dongle, or the "cheap software defined radio".
There are now many other software defined radios better than the RTL-SDR, but they all come at a higher price. Currently we think that the Airspy ($169) and SDRPlay ($99) SDR's are the best low cost RX only SDR's. There is also the HackRF ($300USD) which can both transmit and receive... ==
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
... It's worth noting that this sort of SDR capability would have cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars just a few years ago. ----------------------------- I built developmental prototypes of I+Q digital radios at Mitre in the early 1990's that cost the government tens of thousands. It's an old idea that became practical with the availability of the hybrid and then integrated high speed A/D converters that enabled digital storage oscilloscopes, and the complementary direct digital synthesizer (waveform generator) chips to modulate the transmitter. I happened to have considerable experience with A/D converters and computer circuits which the radio techs didn't so I got the job.
I should have paid more attention to the math of the square root of -1 in college but I was sure I'd never need it. When I began working with I and Q I had to take night school math classes to keep up, and an amateur radio license course to learn more about radio circuits.
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/radio-frequency-analysis-design/radio-frequency-demodulation/understanding-i-q-signals-and-quadrature-modulation/ "It turns out that any form of modulation can be performed simply by varying the amplitude?only the amplitude?of I and Q signals, and then adding them together."
We used 8 phase modulation which packs 3 bits into each transmitted symbol. The CPU was usually a TMS320xx digital signal processor. That's why I don't have much experience with the ARM family. https://www.rfwireless-world.com/Terminology/8-PSK.html
On Thu, 8 Jul 2021 13:06:33 -0400

Originally had a FCC Class 1 license with Radar endorsement. FCC eliminated it along with the Class 2 soon after I got it. Replaced with the General Class...
Been out of it for ~20 years now. My last service monitor, that had a spectrum analyzer built in sold for ~$35,000 new. We picked it up as factory demo unit for less. It only covered ~100khz to 1ghz. Weighed maybe 30 lbs. Was certified though for accuracy...
I have one of the RTL-SDR.com USB dongles. It just blew me away with what could be done for ~$30 a few years ago. I'm looking at it hanging next to a waiting USB cable right now. If I plug it in my afternoon will become toast, fooling around with it. I purposely avoid it like it's crack coke...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ... I have one of the RTL-SDR.com USB dongles. It just blew me away with what could be done for ~$30 a few years ago. I'm looking at it hanging next to a waiting USB cable right now. If I plug it in my afternoon will become toast, fooling around with it. I purposely avoid it like it's crack coke...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

I have a version of GNU Radio loaded but scared of the time I'll burn through once I begin looking at it:
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Main_Page
This would have been so cool and useful to have back when I was still working in the trade...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI