Bendix sticking

My wife's lawnmower has trouble starting, with a fully charged battery the starter just spins without the bendix gear engaging the flywheel. I can easily start it by putting a small stick on the bendix gear to hold it stationary for a fraction of a secind it takes to run out the bendix spiral and engage.

The problem is cleaning & lubing the nearly inaccessable bendix spiral. The gear has to go UP to engage and gravity and a spring are holding it down.. Clearly I need a super slippery lube that will work its way in when I put a dab on the bottom. I can work the gear up maybe 1/4" thru a small gap in the housing, that is all I have to work with without major disassembly.

Any ideas about the right lube, something slick that will not get sticky? Kroil? Way oil? Slick 50 grease?

Reply to
Nick Hull

David Billington

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 03:52:15 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Nick Hull quickly quoth:

Clean thoroughly, dry, then apply a graphite dry lube.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Common problem in light aircraft engines. Lycoming's specification is silicone spray lube, and we've found that they're right. Anything else attracts dust, which turns the lube to a sticky sludge. Got to rinse out the sludge, dry it off, and get the silicone into it. The silicone will help keep anything else out.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam