starter bendix gear

Anyone have any experience with welding & remachining new teeth on a starter bendix gear? Is the ring gear hard & the bendix gear soft? My problem seems to stem from the bendix gear not engaging deep enough & I plan to modify this situation.

Reply to
Wwj2110

You'd be better off replacing it. A bendix unit isn't that expensive. Lane

Reply to
lane

In my experience from extending a starter pinion 16"--The ring gear is hard--The pinion is Very hard--when I brazed it on the ext. tube it was so soft i could not

keep the proper profile on the teeth---Going to try again with a new pinion & quench/harden it after brazing....

Reply to
Jerry Wass

It isn't worth it if you can get spares, Bendix drives are CHEAP. And what problem are you having? Might be your ring gear is worn enough that no matter what you do to the starter, it isn't going to help.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Check to see if the flexplate is on right. Odds are that you have it backwards and the ring teeth are further away from the engine than they should be.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May