Bendix gear end clamp

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message wrote:
<snip>

I have a version of GNU Radio loaded but scared of the time I'll burn through once I begin looking at it:
https://wiki.gnuradio.org/index.php/Main_Page
This would have been so cool and useful to have back when I was still working in the trade...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Hul Tytus" wrote in message
Thanks Jim. I'll take a look. Regarding the first, do you know what a rtl-sdr is? Not a resistor transtor logic device?
Hul
---------------
It's a low cost DVB-T digital TV tuner that also functions as a wideband 8-bit digital radio receiver. I bought this 14-bit receiver instead: https://www.sdrplay.com/rsp1a/
https://www.sdrplay.com/spectrum-analyser/
-jsw
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 18:18:58 -0700 (PDT)
<snip>

Understood... thought I'd throw it out there for you to ponder...
As a teenager working at a farm I would have been gung-ho to give that a try. I could braze ANYTHING back then... Nowadays I consider which of the two solutions sounds less painful and in-line with my abilities and equipment ;-)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 9:03:16 AM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

OK. TBH I'm not really sure what brazing is. Back when we built low temp probes in grad school, we used an oxy-acetylene torch and high temp silver solder to join stainless together. Here and now I've got nothing that gets hot enough for that... unless I can braze with my arc welder.
George H.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 06:11:37 -0700 (PDT)
<snip>

For some strange reason I've become a lot dumber since my teen years... And indeed, I was using oxy-acy equipment.
You can braze with an arc welder by using a carbon arc torch adapter. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you were really desperate for a solution ;) Nice video demonstrating its use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnsCXVsJsw

Another trick for repairing teeth on cast iron is to weld a thin layer over the spot using a nickel cast iron rod. Then switch to standard rod for the build up. The nickel will stick to the cast and standard rod will stick to the nickel. Got that from an old Farm Welding book, back when buying nickel rod made peoples eyes pop out :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ... Not tried it... but heard of guys adding brazing rod to damaged gear teeth as filler, then filing/grinding to needed profile.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI