Karl Townsend

Any I've been involved with have the ends numbered and you just match them up.. ( I know, easier said than done!!)

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

generally, they use elephants when the circus comes to town....

Reply to
charlie

One of my boys worked his way through college by doing this, and he ended up running the gang. Believe me, this means it can't be too hard!

(iron bar hotel, I like it!)

Reply to
Newshound

If I could get a chance to chat with him on the phone or by email, I'd surely appreciate it. My biggest concern is where to put the stakes. They have to be driven into coral rock at this site - I don't want to specify where to put them and then do it again.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

When I was just out of high school I traveled with a carnival. We put up and took down a 60 x 100 every week. Once you get the sections laced together, drive your stakes 6 or 8 ft. from the canvas. The length of the guys and the length of the side poles should let you know the range you can use.

Reply to
Steve Austin

What is usually done is decide where the center poles need to be and mark that area on the ground. Now lay out the tent sides and place the corners in place. Use string, gravel or something to mark the sides of a straight tent so that you can set the rest of the stakes. Staking depends on the shape. A square tent takes three tether lines at each corner post. Those set at right angles to the corner with the last going between them to provide tension for the top. How far out depends on the height of the tent. Usually you use about a 50-60 degree angle. Get all the side stakes set up and staked in place. Then work your way under the canvas and set the center poles.

Round tents are done in a similar fashion except that you draw the base circle prior to setting the first post. Then erect the sides and stake them. Then the center pole.

Reply to
Steve W.

Check the VFW and local reserve outfits, see if you can find an old NCO from an ordnance or engineer maintenance outfit. That sounds a lot like a 3d echelon maintenance tent and sergeants know how to organize a gang of muscle willing or otherwise.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Check funeral directors. They often provide large tents to keep mourners out of the sun/rain

Reply to
Nick Hull