Bolt with threads in both directions

Is there such a thing as a bolt that is rh threaded on one end and lh threaded on the other? If so what is it called and who carries them?

Reply to
Absinthe

Go to the hardware store and look at the turnbuckles. Throw the eye nuts away, and you're left with the bolt you want.

-- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK. Five apples a day makes you a fruit grower, like me.

Karl Townsend in beautiful Dassel,MN

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl if I understand what you are describing, it has 2 threaded rods one lh and one rh. I am looking for one rod with two different threading. Similar to what is in the handles of a cabinet maker's clamp. I guess worst case I just find a cheap one of those and cannibalize it..

Reply to
Absinthe

Here's real cheap ($3.99 for a 4"):

Bob Engelhardt

McMaster-Carr carries them. See p/n 94455A110 for an example. You can pull up the catalog page once you've found that part.

For smaller sizes, nearly fully threaded, many carbide inserts are clamped with such a stud, with a hex socket in one end. Looks like a set screw threaded 1/2 right handed and 1/2 LH.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Thanks Ned, it is certainly much easier to find something when you know what to call it :)

Reply to
Absinthe

Why not splurge for a couple of dies and make your own? I bet you'll use them again!

Reply to
tastbits

Aren't LH dies expensive and hard to come by?

I have yet to cut threads with a die is it tough to do it well? Closest experience was cutting threads in wood with a tap.

Reply to
Absinthe

You know what, if I remove the turnbuckle, and replace it with a bushing and a little epoxy I have what I need don't I? I need the middle to be non threaded anyway. It needs to be captive in a center block, but spin freely, I was going to do a groove and rollpin thing, but perhaps I could just collar the bushing in.

Amazing what my brain can do if I just get out of its way..

--Absinthe

Reply to
Absinthe

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 17:35:48 GMT, "Absinthe" wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

I am glad you elucidated. From the header, I _was_ going to mention knurling

****************************************************************************************** Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick

turnbuckles come two ways. One has a circle nut (just gave it a name) with a left hand on one side and a right hand on the other. Then a left hand and right hand eye bolt for each end.

The other style is a bolt with left hand threads on one end and right hand threads on the other. Then a left hand and a right hand eye nut. This is what I thought you were looking for.

-- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Two apples a day gets the doctor's OK. Five apples a day makes you a fruit grower, like me.

Karl Townsend in beautiful Dassel,MN

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Leo Lichtman" snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net

There are old ww lathe faceplates (and other tooling, I suppose) double threaded the same way. The LH for outboard placement. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

Hey Absinthe,

This "second" style is very common on sailboats. Used commonly on the shrouds to adjust the mast. Also relatively expensive, and very susceptible to galling if simple lubrication consideration isn't given.

You never did mention threads and sizes.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Karl, I have seen the first kind, but not the second, I will go and peruse

Reply to
Brian Lawson

One example, but not really a bolt, can be found on some fishing reels. The kind where there's a "finger" moving back-and-forth to keep the line even across the spool.

Reply to
BigJoe

On 27 Aug 2003 02:51:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Fdmorrison) wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

Trouble with the Net, there are no "just jokings" any more. There is something, somewhere, that makes a joke not funny cause it's real.

****************************************************************************************** Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email !!

Reply to
Old Nick

Rockwell-Delta wood turning lathes that were in the school shop I taught in had 6" faceplates LH/RH threaded for use inboard and outboard. Mike in Burns Lake, BC .... we were fortunate it's not Burnt Lake, take time to think of the folks in southern BC and their fight with the fires.

Reply to
Michael Gray