Question about Millermatic 200 MIG welders

I'm attending an auction this week and they have 8 Millermatic 200's and 8 Millermatic "Vintage" welders. Each welder comes with a big bottle, and most have new guns. These welders appear to be 15-20 years old, but I suspect Miller makes a solid machine, and the local welding supply tells me parts are still available.

Would you be concerned about a welder this old (yeah, they've got a lot of time on them and the cabinets are rough), and what should I expect it to go for at an auction? I was told a welding supply came out and checked each one, repaired some, and they all work. Thanks !!

Ronnie

Reply to
Ronnie

If they work, I would say they are a good buy at anything less than $450. Do you have a way of getting one home?

Reply to
Emmo

Millermatic 200's are pretty bulletproof, industry standard for heavy mig welders. Good machines, not much can go wrong, and parts are available. Millermatic Vintage welders were made until just a few years ago. They are a slightly updated version of the 200. The equivalent new machine to these would be a millermatic 210, and they go for about $1300, plus another $150 or so for a tank of gas, and $50 for a gauge.

can download manuals for either of these models for free from miller-
depends on scarcity and demand in your area. But Millermatics have good resale value, and good brand name recognition. If they go for as little as $450, snap one up. Used at a welding supply, I would expect these to sell for a grand, and I would consider even $800 for one a good deal, assuming it was in good shape, and not beat to death.

Reply to
rniemi

Both are god solid machines. Hard to break and easy to fix. The Vintage is a Multi-tap transformer design. It is an older design, but is better for welding sheet metal since it gives a smoother arc. The 200's are older and should also be a multi-tap design.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks for the input !!

Ronnie