Question about start capacitors

Let's say that I am using a start capacitor (like the ones sold for AC units) with a time delay relay. It is safe for the capacitors to set the TDR to turn them off after, say, 2 seconds? Or is 2 seconds too much? Just how long can they remain under power before they need to be turned off.

Ignoramus5478

Roy

Reply to
wayne mak

I think what you want is a hard start kit . Its basicly a start cap with a potential relay built in. When the motor reaches speed the built in relay cuts the start cap off . They only cost $35 Go to this link and type in ( hard start kit) and it will show you a picture.

tim

Looks extremely nice. I quite possibly will buy one. Thank you!

Ignoramus22325

POtentail relays are the way to go, but you have to match them to the application. There was a RPC listed online a long while back and it gave various numbers for the potentail relays.......it used. One was a Grainger label brand, and it sucked bigtime at doing what it was supposed to do........however the other made by MARS worked just fine...only difference was the sensed voltage between the two but they were listed on line and in vendors books as being interchangeable....I know when I built my RPC i had to playw ith a few different brands all listed a compatibe and like items, but only the MARS brand seemed to do what it was supposed to do when it was supposed to do it.

Reply to
Roy