Question from a noobie

I would like to harden and then temper back some A2 HSS. I have been told when doing the initial hardening you can use a magnet to find the idea temp. Supposedly the steel looses its magnetic properties at the right temp. Am I out to lunch or is this true. If its false, can someone point me to a website with color chart for temperatures

Thx Mat

Reply to
blabla

James Crombie

A2 is air-hardening, is it not? This stuff takes a different procedure to harden than oil or water-hardening types, I'm not sure it can be done by rough and ready torch or forge methods.

A simple google turned up this:

Yup, you're going to need a furnace.

Stan

Reply to