Tips needed for machinig Inconel 625

I've been struggling to find the right combination of tooling, speeds, and feeds for turning Inconel 625. I'm barfeeding 1/4-5/8 material through a Hardinge Conquest GT. We call it Inconhell.

Reply to
Matweier

James Crombie

This stuff work hardens like nothing I've seen. I use a conventional coated endmill about 60 sfm. I like a chip load of about .005 per tooth. Even keeping things moving, it's still a bitch. Turning I use a carbide insert positive rake. I hone this insert till it's extremely sharp. Watch your tool overhang, don't hesitate in the cut. I've had best luck taking a pretty heavy cut. This works "fairly" well. Keep things as ridgid as you can. Good Luck!

Reply to
Jim Kovar

Check the recommended speeds and feeds at the bottom:

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

In the last century, I was involved in cutting a lot of Inconel, and the things that worked were carbide cutters, configured and used to the spec, and Cool-Tool lubricant.

Disclaimer: This information, like the informant, may be out of date.

Hth, Fred Klingener

Reply to
Fred Klingener

Reply to