Iscar ChamdrillJet Test

I've been testing an Iscar ChamdrillJet. (With IDN drill heads).

Application: 12%Si forged aluminum alloy. 25 mm hole depth, 19.9 mm hole diameter, one-shot no peck, no pilot hole. Machine: 2007 Brother S2C, 240 PSI CTS Current Machining parameters: 3100 RPM, 1010 mm/min (37.79"/min) Feed. As of yesterday, 4100+ holes on the first head. By today, it should exceed

8000, provided nothing odd happened. Very good looking hole, straight, clean, almost looks reamed. Very pleased with this Iscar product so far.
Reply to
Anthony

Throw up a link sir, curious what a chamferdrilljet is.

Reply to
vinny

Jerry

Is that the actual coolant pressure with the drill? IOW, does the pump keep up to 240 PSI with the drill in the spindle?

Reply to
Half-nutz

Sorry. Did not paste correct. Jerry

ID/492/MenuItemID2/484

Reply to
Jerry

We have used Iscar's chamdrills for years. 1/2" up to 1-1/64" diameters in A36 steel. No Peck, No pilot. Runs around 270SFM and varying feeds. (Mostly .012? with the 1-1/64") We get about 60 minutes of in part time. Thats pretty good. We experienced a couple of problems with the chamdrill.

  1. The spring mechanism that holds the tip in place wears out after 8 - 10 tip changes. Iscar says 20+. We applied ourselves, used caution when changing the tips, cleaned the tool carefully when changing tools, and we still didn't get as tip changes as expected.
  2. The tool and the machine can push the tool quite hard. We have pushed the smaller diameter chamdrills so that the speeds and feeds were approaching those of a solid carbide drill. After poking holes like this for a while, the chamdrill body would split right down the middle. It turns out the coolant through hole went right through the center of the drill body, the coolant through hole removed most of the web of the drill bit, making it very weak and liable to split if pushed too hard.

The chamdrill is an OK bit, I prefer solid carbide for less than 3/4" and indexable for larger than 3/4". When you have the right application, the chamdrill is hard to beat. The hydra drill by Precision comes close, but the head is easy to break when you tighten the screws.

Reply to
John

Anthony, I don't know how much HP that Brother has, but you may consider looking into Hanita's line of aluminum specific coolant thru drills.

I run a .500 drill, 3XD, 1000psi CTS, in a shrink fit holder, at 15K and 300ipm. I've been on the same drill for months, and it's drilled over 10,000 holes. But this is just in 6061, not the gnarly abrasive stuff that you're cutting. I could go even faster, but it doesn't really improve the cycle time, because it only takes a fraction of a second to drill 1.5 inches at 300ipm anyways. The bigger sizes can handle a much heavier feedrate, but you'd probably be out of HP.

We got the .375 version of the same drill up to 350ipm before it slipped in the collet and broke, that's why the .500 is in a shrink fit holder!

Back when these tools were first introduced, my Hanita guy brought me two .229 drills for a 1/4-20 form tap. I'm still using the first drill, and it's been almost 3 years. It's got wayyyyyy over 50,000 holes, and about 30% of those holes have been 4-5XD. The threads still gage perfectly.

It's a good tool!

Reply to
Joe788

I 've never used that type of drill. I have a an insert drill that is .812" and we've been very happy with it. The difference from hss twist drills amazed me. The hard part is trsting the numbers that are supplied for feeds and speeds. We have an iscar inside threading tol that has worked great

Reply to
Jon

Half-nutz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I'll have to look when I get back to work after taking a week or so off. It sits about 280-285 when the pump is on, but the valve is off. It blows the chips to the top of the door.

Reply to
Anthony

Joe788 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

10 hp I'm pretty sure.

I'll look into those, but this was a quickie, temp job set-up. The machine has another purpose, but while I'm waiting on the rest of the parts to build it to show up, I figured I'd put it to good use. I'm machining 4 parts in 20 sec. They are hand loading it, so even if I got it faster, it's doubtful any more parts would come off of it in a shift, as they aren't keeping it running as they should as it is. I'm running it on the lower end of what they recommended, feed wise. Btw, this is a 5x d drill body.

We have found some drills and a coating that is giving us about 400,000 holes in a 14-16%si alloy for the high volume stuff. Very pleased with that situation, we were getting about 12,000 holes max from everything else we tried.

Reply to
Anthony