Final Update: Iscar Chamdrilljet test

Well, it made it to 32,768 holes before they changed it. Tech said it started getting really loud. Not bad for just a polished carbide tip.

Reply to
Anthony

Unusual number to stop at. 2^15.

Reply to
Steve Walker

More unusual you would notice ?

Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT

Anthony, are you going to stick with that standard insert, or are you going to get fancy coatings on them?

Reply to
Joe788

Joe788 wrote in news:305acd1c-2b7d-495b-bac9- snipped-for-privacy@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Joe, With those numbers, the insert cost is $0.0024 per part. Although I may try the same DLC coating we are using on our tiny drills, that is already a very acceptable tooling cost per part for this operation. With the Kennametal inserted drill, we were getting in the neighborhood of 6-8000 holes per insert set. The burrs it generated were the cause of the short tool life, not the actual cutting. At 32,000+, this thing only had a slightly perceptable burr on exit, nothing that would cause a problem. The kennametal inserted drill would slowly creep up to a good 1-

2 mm tall burr, which causes issues in later processes. The spade drill we were using on another machine would get only about 3- 4000 holes. (Granted this was on a power-feed Clausing drill press, but still...) The cost of the spade insert is actually more than these Iscar heads. The inserts on the Kennametal were slighly cheaper, but not by much (2 inserts) couple of bucks IIRC.
Reply to
Anthony

Steve Walker wrote in news:aK6dnSU74MOvQlDanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Luck of the draw I guess. Odd that you would notice that. The tech looking after that machine gave me the numbers late today, he changed it earlier this morning.

Reply to
Anthony