Update: Iscar Chamdrilljet test

Just an update on the testing for this drill. To refresh memories, I'm pasting the original post. /original Application: 12%Si forged aluminum alloy. 25 mm hole depth, 19.9 mm hole
diameter, one-shot no peck, no pilot hole. Machine: 2007 Brother S2C, 240 PSI CTS Current Machining parameters: 3100 RPM, 1010 mm/min (37.79"/min) Feed. As of yesterday, 4100+ holes on the first head. By today, it should exceed 8000, provided nothing odd happened. Very good looking hole, straight, clean, almost looks reamed. Very pleased with this Iscar product so far. /end post
Now with more than 24,000 holes on the original drill tip, it still looks great, holes are still on size and smooth. The only knock is that they don't have the larger heads listed in the catalog actually available.
--
Anthony

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:46:02 GMT, Anthony

========Thanks for the feedback. It is nice to see a machining related posting, with a happy ending.

Anthony, did you apply any special coating to the drill tip, or did you find a standard catalog item that suits your needs?
What type of diameter tolerance is it holding?

Standard polished for aluminum finish. Which is why it has suprised me as to the life. As for tolerance, I've got +/-0.2 mm on this hole, as it's a rough, rough hole. It's a 19.9 drill, and it's still running about 19.91-19.93 or thereabouts. There is about a 0.1 mm hump in the bore where the part moves as it breaks through the other side, but this is no issue at all in this application, it gets another, much more stringently toleranced rough bore (+/-0.03 mm) and then another rough / finish bore (+/-0.002 mm).
--
Anthony

in

What kind of cutting forces does the drill put no your part? I need to drill about 7000 holes, 3 inches deep, 1 inch diameter in the 90 degree face of a 2x2x4 block of aluminum. (1 hole per part, 7000 parts). If I were drilling on the B0 face, I wouldn't hesitate to use a high powered drill like that, but this is on the side, and the parts are simply clamped from the top/bottom, like a vise, so I'm weary of pushing them right out of the fixture. Do you think the cutting forces are greater than a regular HSS drill? The edge on the Chamdrill sure looks a lot more positive and sharp.
Joe788 wrote:

Joe:
    Probably a lot less than a regular inserted drill.

    Can you put a stop on the part? I've never done this, but just imagineering now, could a movable stop be devised that had a pivot point away from the part such that the stop in the forward position would resist any drilling/machining forces THEN have a toolholder (perhaps with a dowel pin in it), come over and PUSH/MOVE the stop out of the way so that that entire surface could be machined free of any obstructions.     It would no-doubt put a "drag" mark on the part, but if that complete surface was going to be machined anyway, it might not matter.                  Was that understandable?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I think they are less. I'm not holding these parts very well at all, as this was a temporary "quicky" just to get some parts drilled. I'm not pushing the drill, and it does have a very sharp positive edge. Another dept is testing one without the polished surface, same exact application and material as I am doing, and they are seeing similar life with it. In the non-polished grade, they are available in 1" diameter.
--
Anthony