No boom? Leave it alone......

Here is a case in point on why you shouldn't be poking around with an undetonated 155 round when you don't know what you're doing. These
guys were friendlies but not American soldiers. RIP
http://www.liveleak.com/player2.swf?token f_1201000704
Darwin at work.
Gunner

Astounding footage. Please post more stuff when you see it.
--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

We have seen a lot of this among both Iraqi and Afghanistani local nationals. More courage than common sense. Like the Iraqi police who would walk over and flip the Red switch on an IED. Most of our troops, as stupid as they are, have the sense to stand off and EOD do their job.
Soldier in a Combat Zone wrote:

Do you see that much combat in lafayette Indiana?
IP address: 74.132.213.110 Reverse DNS: 74-132-213-110.dhcp.insightbb.com. Reverse DNS authenticity: [Verified] ASN: 36727 ASN Name: INSIGHT-COMMUNICATIONS-CORP-AS1 IP range connectivity: 1 Registrar (per ASN): ARIN Country (per IP registrar): US [United States] Country Currency: USD [United States Dollars] Country IP Range: 74.128.0.0 to 74.191.255.255 Country fraud profile: Normal City (per outside source): Lafayette, Indiana Country (per outside source): US [United States] Private (internal) IP? No IP address registrar: whois.arin.net Known Proxy? No Link for WHOIS: 74.132.213.110
prove it.
x-no-archive:yes
wrote:

Just returned from a combat tour. Not bad for someone pushing 60. But then us old guys do a better job of fighting this type of war (if we kept in shape and have our health).
Here is a picture of me with Bill O'Reilly
x-no-archive:yes
wrote:

http://users.ameritech.net/colefirearms/SUC50684.JPG
On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 20:18:47 -0800 (PST), Soldier in a Combat Zone

470th MI?
Welcome home Sarge
Gunner
x-no-archive:yes

As for the unit, I would rather not say. But I was attached to 5 different units (including the 82nd) all at the same time. Weird, never had that happen before. I could wear any of their patches at anytime and would have been legal.
Personally, I would rather be back over there than here.
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:12:16 -0800 (PST), Soldier in a Combat Zone

Thought I recognized the patch. <G>

Sigh...I tried to sign up at the start of Sanbox 2. Even hit up Blackwater. Still have some much in demand skills, but also have some long term physical issues as a result of the SEA ratscrew. Shrug
Sound of the drums , and all that.
Gunner
[Default] I missed the Staff Meeting but the Minutes record that
Mar 2008 09:21:36 -0800 in misc.survivalism :

    My dad wanted to go back for desert storm. He was only 68, it wasn't like he was _old_.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
The two oldest cliches in the book are "The Good Old Days were

If you keep your health there is no reason that you can not stay in the fight. There are 70 year old insurgents running around at 7000 feet in Afghanistan who make our young soldiers look feeble.
On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:23:39 -0800, Gunner Asch

Holy shit is right.
They kept saying 4 guys, but just before the blast one other guy walks into the frame at around the 2 or 3 o'clock making it 5, so maybe 2 did make it.
Regardless, RIP to the guys who didn't.

155mm shell at a ten foot radius max. Do the math. The crater was farther out than the guy was standing. Too bad they didn't have an IR on it, and it would have shown lots of white dots all around the crater. 98.6 and cooling. I saw a chain cannon video with IR, and the body parts were clearly visible on IR.
Steve

Anybody know what these videos are shot from and from how far away?
x-no-archive:yes

It looked like an UAV which flies about a mile away (and Up, yes they are that good). Not sure of the voice chatter (radio and intercomm).
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 01:34:07 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

Likely from an Apache, and 500-2000 feet way based on some intel and training at photo enterp.
In this case, likely to be 1000 feet or more , based on the unconcern about incoming shrap and the aircraft didnt rock very much in the blast wave.
When they pulled the lens back to show the area, it was probably 1:1
Gunner

Yes, it could have been an AH-64 gunship. I was thinking that the only other platform would have been an AC-130U but they do not circle as fast. An AH-64 and the UAVs would. An AH-64 would account for the radio chatter.
Gunner Asch wrote:

What do you suppose the camera was flying around in? It sure made enough passes around the crater. Sure was nicely stabalized too. ...lew...
Lew Hartswick wrote:

On the 30mm chain cannon footage I saw, it was at max range, which is 4,000m for the chain cannon. Nearly three miles. Not a long distance for today's high dollar military cameras. It could have been closer than that. I was able to see a black stripe of clothing going around the chest of one of the men, indicating the range was not that great.
Steve