questions about gearmotors

Basically, I want to ask about a motor that has the geardown built in versus a setup that involves a 'regular' motor (110v ac ,1hp , 1725 rpm for example) coupled to a geared speed reducer. My application is a rolling mill. The motor I have is 1 1/2 hp w/ 240 in. lbs. torque , about 90rpm. I have another motor (regular, as noted above) and I can get reducers cheap at surplus. I can do the math to find the reducer I want , to get the output specs I want but I'm not sure about reducers. Like, do they have specs that indicate how tough they are?... or what do I look for to be sure a given reducer will hold up to my task. I've had issues with small rolling mills breaking down , so I got a bigger one. Maight it be as simple as just getting a big-ass reducer that looks as beefy as my rolling mill. Silly way to put it, I know, but if I knew the perfect way to ask the question, I'd probably already know more of the answer. TIA, Dar

Reply to
Dar

Gear reducers usually have specifications that include input horsepower and of course gear ratio. Try looking at W.W. Grainger's catalog.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Google ' AGMA "service factor" ' and you'll find an explanation of how gears are selected. The short answer is the load is multiplied by a service factor and the result is used to select an appropriate gearbox.

For example:

Ned Simmons

yeah , that's a page full !. Thanks.

DS