Recent thread on solid state disk drives

You have to properly select the I/O devices in the parameters David. Which control is it?

Reply to
John R. Carroll

MITS had custom drives that were larder (more bits) in the same format.

That might be what you are fighting. It was designed for IBM and likely used in other divisions and other MITS companies. Yes not all MITS are MITS. Color of the diamonds is a key. Red and Yellow... I had friends on both sides.

Mart> Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The 4' tall 1 MEG disk drive is not replaceable. It was popular before hard disk technology grew. An electronic replacement was developed - it used a small Winchester and a lot of electronics interfacing the two.

Mart> "Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

metal platters

lifespan. I fear

only 50 years

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I still have a few Shugart SA1004 8" 10 MB hard drives. (Built before the lawsuit when they were forced to change their name. They changed it to Seagate technologies.)

If the hardware is that old the data needs to be ported to a newer technology. You should have seen the 1960 Westinghouse 5 MB hard drive with a 48" disk. It had a 5 HP three phase motor, and a warning not to attempt to access the platter for five full minutes. One was used with the original computer for Armco Steel's original computerized hot strip in Middletown, Ohio. They finally had to replace most of the computer hardware when all the spare parts for that oddball drive were gone. they had purchased ever used drive they could find for over 10 years to keep from upgrading the mill. The last drive was scrapped in 1987. Not many hard drives had a 12 circuit three phase breaker box. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

5x10' LZP with LC20B control

Here's a pic of the control:

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

That looks like a 530 control but you might also have the dreaded "Magic 64" which is an M64 with a PC front end. They had a hard drive and a floppy and ran '95 in the early models and then NT later on. You can upgrade the older ones. Does the control boot Windows when you power it up? Your problem, if you have a Magic, will be device drivers. Get the Ethernet adapter working. You can take any ISA Ethernet adapter and put it in the mother board on these things and then configure your connection through the Windows control panel.

You can send programs to the machine memory using your RS232 port but you will need to flip the control to the Mits side and do the transfer there. Do it the same way you would on a 520A-MR. Then save the program to the hard drive.

Anytime I have a Mitsubishi question I call Chicago. Those guys are GREAT, and they will be happy to help you out. They really know their stuff.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

This one runs Win95. Internally, it doesn't have a standard motherboard and I see nothing resembling ISA or PCI slots.

Yes. Since I installed the PCMCIA LAN adapter, I get a screen that asks for a password. The operators have been told NOT to enter anything, just hit INPUT or whatever the equivalent of ENTER is.

How would I identify a Magic 64?

No slots, ISA or PCI.

What is the 520A-MR, some sort of BTR device? A CNC control?

Do you mean MC Machinery? That's our usual Mits contact.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

It should be in the pendant where the monitor is. They are a very small form factor board. You might have a hard time getting the LAN adapter in but it one can be made to fit if it doesn't. The motherboard is removable.

You have just done so. At least you appear to have some flavor of one. Magic 64 is the Hartford brand for these.

The 520 is one of the 500 series of Mits controls.

No, call Mitsubishi directly in Chicago. As I recall, the guy you want to speak with is Steve. Mitsubishi tech support at (847) 478-2500

That used to be the number anyway.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I've been inside the pendant plenty, there is nothing resembling any motherboard I've seen since since I was playing with S-100 bus CNC controls. I've built PCs since XT clones were the hot setup and I've seen lots of mommaboards. I don't need to install a LAN card, the PCMCIA LAN adapter is talking with the Win2k laptop, we haven't figured out how to transfer files, though.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

Let me know what you find out, if it's not to much trouble.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Install the legacy NetBEUI protocol on the WIN2K box and your odds of sharing files with a WIN95 system go up dramatically. Try sharing a folder on the WIN2K box and the WIN95 system *should* see it. Otherwise enable filesharing on the WIN95 box and access that from the WIN2K box.

Last resort is install a FTP server on the WIN2K box (I use Ward's FTP daemon ) and use the Win95 command line FTP utility. You could install a GUI FTP utility, but the problem would be finding one that works on WIN95.

Reply to
IanM