Recycling Bicycle Spokes

The Dougster wrote:

I have no idea what the in-use mechanical properties of an s-bent spoke would be. I don't think existing wheelbuilding machines could handle it, but that's pretty much besides the point since wheelbuilding machines and machine-built wheels as they exist are all about making a product built to sell, rather than appropriate use of resources. Putting these bends in spokes and maintaining an accurate length, necessary for wheelbuilding, would pretty much require a fixture of some sort, and at that point it would probably make more sense just to have a little machine that squashed new heads onto the spokes, as it's done in the factory (as I understand it).
2 more issues with recycling spokes: they also should have gotten their angle adjusted near the nipple in many cases, allowing them the oppurtunity to have accumulated too much stress there to be useful in the future if they weren't. However, even if the angle was adjusted, what it gets set to is quite specific to the wheel, more so than at the hub. Think in terms of the different ERD's and cross patterns a given length of spoke might be used for. Also, stress relief probably also affects built-in stresses in the threads themselves. Between these 2 other issues and the fact that it's only a minority of trashed wheels out there with spokes you'd even want to consider any of this with, and I don't think what you propose is very practical.
Focus on the fact that wheels with reasonable quality components, including hubs that are well-designed and built for indefinite use such as Campy, Shimano (arguable but I think so), Phil, King, etc, quality spokes, and quality rims are amazingly efficient and durable when built and maintained right. Hubs and spokes can last basically forever, if the wheel is built right and the hub is maintained, and rims need only be replaced due to violence, brake track wear in rim brake wheels, and extreme fatigue in hub brake wheels. The hard part of this equation to get right today is rims, because current rims kinda suck in terms of being utiliitarian, economical, and as long-lived as possible, but fairly suitable rims are out there. This approach, wheels that are suitable for serious transportation indefinitely for a fairly low overall cost in terms of resources, makes much more sense to me than going to great lengths to try and turn wheels that were never even meant to be ridden all that much into something they're not. Most of the hubs will be damaged from not being set up and maintained right, and many of the rims will have some damage as well.

They work as handy parts for Radio Control Model linkage rods. You can put in a Z-bend on one end too. The 2x56 threading usually fits the nylon pushrod linkage too. You can also put in a Z-bend on the unthreaded end and use it as an emergency spoke replacement on those wheels with a shorter spoke too. I have bent the unthreaded end, and put on a strong little magnet on it to use to fish out parts deep inside something before.
The Dougster wrote:

OK, someone has to do it......
Non Bicycle uses for Bicycle spokes
1. Cut in 6 inch lengths, stick in your herb pots, stops bloody cats sleeping on them. (having great trouble with my Italian Parsley at the moment..)
2. Stainless steel ones useful for cleaning out the centre pins of PL259 connectors to re-use them. Ditto for cleaning solder sucker tips.
3. Bent a small hook on one end, useful to hook out swarf from the lathe mill etc.
4. Again the hook idea - use to fish for dropped stringing lines behind wall cavities.
5. Support for cables over gantries where some movement is required and you dont want the cables drooping over the machine.
6. Can be cut down to make quarter wave mobile whips for 70cm band.
7. General poking things with.
They will never replace the wire coat hanger for utilitarian value, but hey, their free - lots of bicycles left lying around in the streets........
Any more suggestions?
Andrew VK3BFA.

8. Reverse the rim nut, thread partly onto spoke, fill the cavity with match head material, stuff wooden match into cavity and break off excess. Heat the head with another match. Enjoy the bang. Works best with strike-anywhere matches.
BTW: Point away from self and others until the bang happens.
You won't have to ask: "Where's the Kaboom?"
Good firecracker substitute.
We kids in my neighborhood did that a lot when about 12-13 years old.
Of course, we also experimented with homemade explosives too. It was good we had a big sand pit to play in, and understanding parents/teachers who'd supervise our efforts to make big bangs and stop us when we got into things too dangerous.

Truly!
All hail the humble wire coat hanger, temporary savior of many exhaust systems, bent doors, shaky fenders -- and a whole lot of other things as well! Its utility is surpassed only by duct tape. Maybe.
I make belt buckles and rings of three sets of three twisted coat hanger wires. Looks like a ring of rope when done.
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

When I broke both arms in a crash some years ago, I found an old spoke was perfect for scratching an itch way down inside the cast. Stiff, straight, long enough, flexible, and the threads would scratch an itch without breaking the skin.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Never forget that God may be a Siamese cat.
-- Tom Sherman - Here, not there. I am supporting cannibalism by eating more nuts.

Yup. Teaching heat treatment of steel to young'uns. Spokes are quick and easy to harden, and snap like dry spaghetti. When annealed, you can tie knots in them. (Though annealing requires pre-prepared samples. Normalised spokes still snap.) Plus! You can do it all in a regular classroom with just a weeny blowtorch and a tin of water.
Spokes - or hacksaw blades. Spokes are more fun and quicker, but hacksaw blades show differential HT (hard teeth, soft back).
Decisions, decisions. Sometimes I wonder why I don't get an ulcer.
-- Jeff R.
Jeff R. wrote:

Maybe because you are not infected with Helicobacter pylori?
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hpylori /

Quite likely. On of the symptoms of infection is weight loss, and that ain't me, brudder.
(When can one get some of this Helicopter pylon stuff?)
-- Jeff R.
Jeff R. wrote:

:-)
I think you catch it from your mother. To be honest, if you don't have it you don't want it.
--
Take care,

John.
The Dougster wrote:

Makes nice jewelry..If they are DT, I will reuse them if the rim is the same ERD, if I built the wheel orginally.
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Only if it's the exact same ERD? (not challenging it, just a question.)
My thanks for a lively, educational thread.
Doug

Site Timeline