Reeves variable speed on bridgeport heating up

I just purchased a Bridgeport vertical step-pulley mill converted to variab le speed using Reeves drive. I tested in the shop,which had 3 phase power, and all was well. I brought home to my garage,which only has 220/single phase. First tried a static phase converter and drive made a crazy rattling noise and heated up in a couple of minutes. I then got a 3 hp rotary phase converter. Hooked he r up and she ran great: no rattle-but after 5 min heated up! I need help.

Reply to
jpugleasa

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 12:26:02 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

able speed using Reeves drive.

a static phase converter and drive made a crazy rattling noise and heated u p in a couple of minutes. I then got a 3 hp rotary phase converter. Hooked her up and she ran great: no rattle-but after 5 min heated up!

I am ignorant about Reeves Drives. But I would think that a variable speed drive would require a belt specifically made for variable speed. The belt would be wide and not very deep.

I looked up Reeves on the internet and found a page where they told where t o find the model #.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Try: balancing a phase converter - Google Search

Larry Jaques