Regulating swap cooler temperature

Was over at friend's place yesterday and after about two hours the swamp co oler was getting down to 70 and a bit chilly so he turned it off and the le ft the room. When he came back he said he had to go shut the exhausting win dow as without the fan the hot air from outside blows back in.

Being somewhat lazy, I began thinking of options. A flap on the exhaust win dow with a light spring return so the fan-pressure kept it open when on.

Then the thought struck, what about a pump with variable speed? Or a waste- gate valve on the pump outlet to control the amount of water available for cooling. The variable waste-gate valve might be easier to find/make than a controllable pump. Maybe just s simple clamp on the pump outlet to restrict flow. The pump is not positive displacement so being backed up will not ha rm anything.

Anyone been down this road?

Other thoughts on controlling temps other than fan speed Low/High and pump on/off such that the fan can stay running, thus, the exhaust window can be left open?

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

cooler was getting down to 70 and a bit chilly so he turned it off and the left the room. When he came back he said he had to go shut the exhausting w indow as without the fan the hot air from outside blows back in.

indow with a light spring return so the fan-pressure kept it open when on.

e-gate valve on the pump outlet to control the amount of water available fo r cooling. The variable waste-gate valve might be easier to find/make than a controllable pump. Maybe just s simple clamp on the pump outlet to restri ct flow. The pump is not positive displacement so being backed up will not harm anything.

p on/off such that the fan can stay running, thus, the exhaust window can b e left open?

How about a exhaust shutter? Grainger sell them in a bunch of sizes.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Generally I would think you want the media to remain saturated wet so the minerals don't build up on it too fast, slowing the water flow may cause that to happen if the water flow is too slow & dries instead of draining off.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

Any place which carries greenhouse material will have these in stock. They can be either spring or gravity loaded.

Anything not being cooled by water would be hot air, so the pump limiter option is out. Fan speed, however, would likely get you what you seek. I wanted one in the house I rented in Phoenix, but couldn't afford one. Full blast and OFF were the options back in '72. :(

See above.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks to All for the suggestions. I will check out the shutters. The windows are all vertical hinged and swing out with a winding mechanism, so spring return looks to be the only option.

I'll check Graingers etc as the neighbor is not too mechanically minded if you haven't guessed already. I'll have to take this on as a project of my own. {sigh}{grin}

I'll see what I can find in the way of Surplus sealed variable speed motors. Might be the better idea. Maybe just put an open-frame motor in a plastic bag. This IS the boonies and we ARE rednecks. OK, just kidding about the plastic bag.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that