Remove concrete sealer from fresh concrete

I poured a concrete garage floor 7 days ago. My contractor told me to seal it the next day, but neglected to tell me to get a product designed for fresh concrete. I used Armor All Waterproofing Sealer 24 hours after the concrete was poured. The product says it contains Petroleum Distillates. It's been 6 days now and (not surprisingly) it's still wet.

I know I screwed up... but how badly? Did I damage the concrete? I'm assuming I need to remove the sealer. What chemicals do I use? How much will I need to remove the product from a 725 sq ft floor? Will it be safe to wash the chemicals down my drain (which eventually drains into a grassy field)?

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
Steve Miles

I would stay off the floor a week and leave it alone atleast 2 weeks.

It may take even l> I poured a concrete garage floor 7 days ago. My contractor told me to

Reply to
Trai' La Trash.

What do you mean, still wet? Do you mean "still green"? Dark greenish grey color, not yet turning whitish grey?

Actually the slower concrete cures, the stronger it is. The interior will cure at its own rate regardless, but if the outer skin (surface) is allowed to cure too fast (dry out) it will crack. Curing compounds slow the evaporation of water from the surface and prevent cracking due to differential shrinkage of the surface compared to the interior. The best way to cure is to continually wet the surface, but that's hard to maintain over a period of days.

I'm not familiar with the sealer you mentioned, but I don't think it will hurt anything. Certainly, don't try to remove it. That would be asking for problems. Give it some time and the concrete will turn a whitish grey. At worst, you may need to apply the sealer again. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Steve Miles) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Try contacting the manufacturer of the sealer and ask them for recommendations. If there's any benefit to removing it (or just cleaning the wet part off the surface), they should be able to tell you what the best product would be for that purpose.

Reply to
David W.

Just wipe it off. You paid money for wax dissolved in mineral spirits.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Just leave it alone, it will take longer but it will cure. Concrete will cure underwater (ie: bridge pylons) not to mention a slow cure is stronger than a fast one.

Reply to
Babbling Brook Photography

Its concrete. Throw on some sawdust to soak up the stuff, sweep it off and then burn the sawdust in a hot fire. good luck.

---------- > I poured a concrete garage floor 7 days ago. My contractor told me to

Reply to
tonyg

I thought I'd post a follow-up for the group. I called Armor All and spoke to a knowledgable individual. He said the floor would eventually cure, but it might take another week, or it might take 6 months. I followed his suggestion of using paint thinner to remove the sealer. There was too much sealer to actually mop it up, so I basically scrubbed the floor with a cotton mop and shop broom, then washed the floor with a hose. It took about 4 gallons of paint thinner for a 725 sq ft. He said I could use mineral spirits, but the paint thinner was cheaper if the area was well-ventilated. A week later the floor dried with only a little remaining sealer in spots. I then sealed with "Cure And Seal" and the floor is fine.

Reply to
Steve Miles

I didn't read your original post, so anything I say here is moot but maybe someone else in the group can obtain some benefit from my remarks.

You made a couple of mistakes.

Reply to
Tom Wait