Repairing rough running 5 HP single phase motor

Baldor usually lists the bearing # on the motor dataplate.....

Suggest should install sealed bearings instead, theses will have the same ## but with additional "ZZ" suffix....

Upon reassembly, be sure and plug the old grease holes.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

It could be just bad bearings, but I often see where the bearing has spin in the end housing of the motor and wore it over size. So if you get to the point of tearing it apart, be sure to check the fit of the bearings in the motor end housings. If the housing is ruined you can buy replacements at a good motor shop. They will have to order them. As far as replacing the bearings you will need a puller to get them of. To install the new bearings best thing is to press them onto the shaft, but if you are careful you can drive them onto the shaft with a hammer and punch, or a piece of pipe. Be sure to drive on the inner race only!! If you put any force on the outer race you will ruin the bearing! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I just learned that both motors work fine. Both almost jump when powered.

How can I know that a motor is made for driving a belt (and is able to take side loads)?

Ignoramus6689

makes perfect sense...

you mean, just put little bolts in the grease holes if I install sealed bearings?

Ignoramus6689

Yup.

Personally, I would just use a small plastic dowell instead...tap it down into the hole--avoids confusion at some later date should someone think about perhaps greasing them...and also then easy enough to drill back out should you ever decide go back to using the gallerys as lube ports...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Thanks, that's a good idea.

Ignoramus6689

a heads up..DONT buy India made bearings. Only US, Japanese, European, and marginally..Chinese bearings.

Gunner

If you are going to use that phrase then you should use the full phrase of "Fuck Off and Die and Rot In A Ditch and Get Eaten By Maggots and Pissed On and Shit On By a Dysenteric Elephant (but not necessarily in that order)."

Crash Street Kidd

Reply to
Gunner

Or if you are cheap like me...bore out the housings and put in bushings.

Gunner

If you are going to use that phrase then you should use the full phrase of "Fuck Off and Die and Rot In A Ditch and Get Eaten By Maggots and Pissed On and Shit On By a Dysenteric Elephant (but not necessarily in that order)."

Crash Street Kidd

Reply to
Gunner

Forget the Chinese bearings.

A good while back we rebuilt the spare spindle for a IR T-25 air compressor (being used as a natural gas compressor by the local gas company). He keeps a spare because of all the problems that compressor gives him. Anyway it was put in service about 2 years ago with the bearings that he had gotten from the local NAPA. Well less than a year later we had to take the compressor back apart because it was making noise. Inspection found the balls in the bearings looking kind of like a baseball with half of them being shiny and the other half being pitted. Lousy steel in those balls. They where replaced with some good USA bearings which will hopefully hold up much longer.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thanks.

Eventually, I will sell this motor, either alone or as part of some repowered package, but I would feel better if I spent 10 extra bucks to get better bearings. The greatest cost of this item will be my time anyway.

The spec for bearings from Baldor is: DE bearing 6307, ODE bearing

6206. Not sure what DE and ODE means. I have no idea where I can find such bearings, will try to call Baldor. i
Reply to
Ignoramus23461

message

European,

compressor

making

DE=drive end, ODE=opposite drive end, if my memory serves me correctly. For DC motors, it's CE (commutator end) and OCE (opposite commutator end)

Those are very common bearings...

Reply to
Rick

great, I see 6307 on ebay for next to nothing... the dealer wanted $25 for it...

Ignoramus23461

Baldor might have the belt load data (as a function of the distance from the bearing). If not, you can look up the dynamic load rating for the bearings, measure the distance between them and where the load will be applied, then calculate the bearing load for an approximation . Remember the bearing load is 2X the belt tension...

All that's assuming the shaft will not bend....

Reply to
Rick

You can buy them from McMaster, MSC, Grainger etc.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

approximation

With appropriate safety factor : )

Reply to
Rick

thanks... the motor in question is actually a GE motor. The Baldor can obviously take side loads, I have a very similar motor in my own home compressor. This 2 HP GE motor is what I put into the compressor that I repowered last night.

I just called a GE distributor and he confirmed that my motor has sealed ball bearings and can take some side loads.

So, my compressor now can be considered fully repowered and is ready for selling... I had a fun evening... Hopefully this thing will sell for more than $60... Thanks to all...

Ignoramus23461

Ayup. Walk into any bearing house and walk out with em. Some autoparts stores too, particularly in farm country.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

The 6206 is common as dirt and the 6307 shouldn't be hard to find. You might look in the yellow pages for a bearing house that's local to you. With all the things that you're doing it would probably be a good idea to get familiar with a place like that anyway.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thanks Wayne... Life is good...

Ignoramus23461

There is nothing wrong with cleaning and inspecting the bearing you are condeming. I have cleaned and inspected hundreds of ball bearings. Most were reuseable. I always guarenteed my products better than any new alternator is guarenteed, so this wasnt a 'fly by night' operation. You can actually learn alot by cleaning the bearing and looking closely at the races and the balls.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes