Minor gloat: A REAL 5 hp 1ph motor

The other day I scored a new, surplus Leeson 3600 RPM, 230V 1ph 24amp(!) capacitor-start motor. This is a really impressive motor, probably circa $800 new. Sadly, it's just too big (184 frame) for the air compressor application I was going to use it on, so I now plan on machining down its shaft (currently a very long special pump shaft) to a simple 1 1/8" standard keyed shaft and reselling it. Anyone interested in a real 5 hp single phase motor? Pedestal and/or C-mount.

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

184 is a big fat frame:)

I recently bought a 5 HP 1750 RPM Baldor motor too, with shot bearings, for $12. Replaced them and resold it for $172.

As far as shaft goes, are you going to use it on a direct drive compressor? If not, then why is that an issue, just curious...

Good luck!

Ignoramus27736