Fun things to do with 2 HP motor

I have this TEFC 2 HP 3 phase 1740 RPM motor. I would like to do something fun and easy with it. I thought about making a pedestal grinder, to buy a 10" or some such wheel and mount it on the shaft.

I have a little grinder already, but if I can make a big one for, say, $20, why not.

The question with this is, how to properly and safely attach a wheel and guards to such grinder. My shaft is, I believe, 1". The wheels sold on ebay are 2" ID. Is there some gizmo for attaching wheels to shafts?

Reply to
Ignoramus23461

Take it apart to show to your son? Then try the coke can experiment. Get a coke can and make an axle for it. Then add a handle to the end of the axle, so you can hold the handle and the coke can is free to spin. Apply power to the stator without the rotor or end bells present (you might need to reduce the voltage using a three phase variac, to prevent overhaeting, or just do it for a really short period of time). Then hold the handle, insert the coke can into the stator and watch it spin! I love this experiment...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I suspect the bearings in the motor are not ok for hanging a 10 inch wheel and applying a load. Probably better to get an arbor and bearing setup and driv it with a belt. This will keep all of the grinding crud out of the motor also. It is real handy to have a polishing buff also.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Well, it is a former compressor motor. Used to drive a pump via tensioned belt. Would that change your reasoning?

Maybe I will do that, I have some 5/8" stock and could buy a pulley and bearings. I would prefer a direct drive for simplicity though.

Ignoramus23461

Better hardware stores and woodworking suppliers sell these with bearings, pulley, and double threaded ends with nuts and washers. True Value on the web I think had it, then I think that Lee Valley has it in their tools catalog, and you'll find it on the web as well.

| > I have a little grinder already, but if I can make a big one for, say, | > $20, why not. | >

| > The question with this is, how to properly and safely attach a wheel | > and guards to such grinder. My shaft is, I believe, 1". The wheels | > sold on ebay are 2" ID. Is there some gizmo for attaching wheels to | > shafts? | >

Reply to
carl mciver

I tried to find 7/8" ID motor arbors, to no avail. checked mcmaster, msc, ebay, lee valley etc.

Ignoramus23461

look at it like this... with pullys you can tinker with the rpms. make the wheel easy to change, and you could buff, grind, polish...now you got me thinking, cus i got a couple extra motors laying around also. i,ll be back... gotta find an old drillpress to dismantle..

Reply to
rjoreilly

Guards? Guards? Where is your spirit of adventure?

As for the adapters..you do have a lathe, right?

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I wouldn't worry about the bearings myself. However it is a little slow for standard grinding wheels. You may find that the wheel will act too soft at that speed. Thus it will be hard to keep it in balance. They used to sell adapter spindles for motors. I've got some that I took off the old dryer motor I used for a grinder for a while.

That would solve the speed issue as well.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

a 12" grinding wheel running at 1740 RPM is enough of an adventure. :)

Well, yes, but I do not have an appropriate barstock piece.

Ignoramus3644

I believe that 12" wheels are rated for about as much as what I have.

thanks... it's just more work, bearings, pulleys, etc etc etc. Imay do that though, as you are right that there will be more versatility.

Ignoramus3644

blink blink...you dont have a pile of drops and cutoffs, being as good a scrounger as you appear to be?

Priorities Man...think of your priorities!

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I do, they are of wrong sizes though.

"loyalty" and "duty."

may possibly

Reply to
Ignoramus3644

Isn't that why they made lathes. :-)

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

No. The bearings required for a pulley are a lot less than for a grinding wheel. Also think about your motor. it probably is a fan cooled motor that has a bunch of holes for air flow. Inside there is a big magnetic field and you really don't want a bunch of grinding fines getting sucked into that do you?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Did not realize that. If that's so, I will promptly abandon my project.

No, actually it is TEFC, that's why I considered making a grinder.

You can see it (still on the compressor) at

definitely not.

Ignoramus3644

One thing I've thought about building is a belt sander with changeable platens and wheel diameters. There is a commercial version somewhere. It'd be a lot more complex than an arbor, but really useful I think.

Here's the commercial one that gave me the wants:

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

"TEFC" means totally enclosed fan cooled. No air holes.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

the diameter. Or welding may be easier. My preferred method is to melt some aluminum and cast a chunk to machine.