30 hp 3 phase motor

I have a 22 kva 3 phase induction motor that has seen very little use and, as I cannnot use it, I would like to sell it. My local scrap yard says if I tell them how much it weighs they will tell me how much it is worth.

It is really quite heavy, but I have no way of discovering this and to take it to the yard will not be easy. I might have to bring it back, too! It works OK and I wonder if it is worth more as a motor. it has a 6 cm shaft and is made by Crompton Parkinson. I can run it up a bit on my 3hp 3 phase converter, before it trips out the converter.

Can anyone tell me how much it might weigh and if there might be a market for it as it is.

Thanks George

Reply to
George

Get a strong saw horse or similar, a length of scaffold pole and a tape rule. Lash the motor to one end of the pole, put the saw horse under the pole, near the motor and lean on the other end of the pole as hard as you can. Adjust the position of the saw horse until you can just lift the motor with your feet off the floor. Do the sums based on your weight and the lengths of the pole on either side of the saw horse.

:-)

Large motors don't seem to shift very well on ebay. But if some one needs your motor, then you might strike lucky.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Well my brand new and now surplus 30 HP 3 phase reputably motor weighs

70kgs, and the groaning that my hoist made getting it up into my garage loft probably confirms this

(anyone want a 30 HP three phase motor, currently located Bromley, for not very much ??????)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sounds like a really nice motor, but too big for anything here.

It may be possible to use it as an induction generator, step up gearing from a wind turbine. (Ok, agreed, that is a bit off the wall :-)...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

gearing

Put in your Myford, then you could take 1" cuts

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I bought a 0-150kg bathroom scale widget from Tesco for 4.99 in February.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Bathroom scales are fairly accurate and if you make a 9:1 pivot lever from box section, you can use them to measure over a ton, or any arbitary amount depending on the ratio...

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQuayle

Bathroom scales should got pretty close to decide if it's worth the pertol to the scrapie.

It might be prudent to cover said scales with some suitable protective material lest the Management finds out what you've been doing with them.....

Richard

Reply to
Richard

strip it for the copper etc.