Replacing 24" one piece shoe with finger mount weldment

I have a Diacro 24 shoe brake on which some one has changed out the finger mount weldment for a one piece 24" shoe. I have the finger mount and a selection of shoes but I don't see how to remove the one piece shoe and reinstall the finger mount. There are two pairs of pivot pins on each side but it is not obvious to me how to disengage them. Thanks - Jim

Reply to
jpotter0

Looking at the manual for the "Di-Acro #24 Finger Brake" (pdf page 4) there is an exploded drawing with 46 being a bar (called finger mount weldment) with a front lip with individual clamps on the fingers (sometimes two for the wider ones, though that is not shown in the drawing) which appears to be fastened to another part on each end which is not labeled.

It looks as though you could remove the whole thing by first removing the two parts labeled 17 secured by two screws (labeled 59) each. It includes screws on the back to adjust the fore to aft position of the rear pivots (25).

I would expect you to not need to remove the finger mount weldment, but instead to find the full width shoe to be clamped to the weldment just like the individual fingers. (Just a full-width finger, instead of a number of shorter ones.)

But I've never taken mine any farther apart than removing the fingers and the folding bar (to make it a bit lighter for wrestling onto the workbench). I did have to make a replacement #30 (adjusting screw) when that broke.

Do you have the PDF of the manual for your machine? They are available for download from the net.

diacro.com/documents/current-models/No24-FINGER-BRAKE.pdf

O.K. This is a later version, and the exploded diagram is on page 5, not page 4. And the numbers are different, too. The part to eremove is part '9' (called "side") in this drawing, with two screws labeled 10.

This one also shows all the fingers and their clamps.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols