Resources for a new metal worker

Hello,

I have about two months to learn enough about welding and metal working to build a human powered structure for the Kinetic Sculpture race in Baltimore, MD. If someone can recommend books, videos, or classes (in the Washington, DC Metro area) that may help me on my way to becoming a metal working monster I would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Watts

Alan,

Not to discourage you, but you cannot read how to become a welder, machinist or fabricator (it _is_ a good start, however). Not to mention the time you've given yourself. The machinist apprenticeship is 3 years. A welder/fitter apprenticeship is 4 years. I'm not saying you need that much time to be able to turn a part or run a bead, but 2 months is barely enough time to get through filing! ;-)

Do you know anyone with these skills that would be willing to teach you? Hands on experience is _exceptionally_ important.

I'm just learning how to weld at work. I spent 16 hours (2x 8hr days) running a braze bead and I still can't do it _that_ nicely. That was after

12hrs of theory on safety and oxy-acetalyne torch work. Then 7hrs on electric welding theory (stick, MIG and TIG (SMAW, GMAW, GTAW)) and then another 8hrs running SMAW beads (trying to get them straight and not leave a crater at the end)..

What kind of work does your project entail (specifically)? Do you have the machines necessary to start work now (mill, lathe, drill press, grinder, assorted welding machines/rigs, etc)? How many hours per day can you work on it?

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

By the time I was middle-aged, I thought I was pretty good with metal.

Then I watched a real machinist work for a couple weeks. (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Alan Watts)

I have never thought of sculpture as something associated with a "race."

You might consider whether or not you do, before you enter. Frank Morrison

Reply to
Fdmorrison

This usually very helpful group seems to have a starting problem on this thread. Read about the competition at

and see if we can come up with more pertinent advice.

I suspect that effective design has more value than metalworking skills. How about a small dinghy or Sunfish with retractable wheels?

Reply to
Bill Price

Check out the Rules for this 'race', very entertaining, although I'm sure the actual event is even better !

Reply to
Dave Keith

Hey Allen,

Take care. Have fun. Let us know when the event is completed and up on a URL so we can see what happened.

Hmmm?? Th>Hello,

Reply to
Brian Lawson