restoring a cast iron dutch oven

Got a Dutch oven pot, which has gotten rusty. Not a little spot of rust, nor a bit of rust, but the "got left out in the rain far too long" 100% coat of rust.

Naval Jelly to clean it up first, or just start with the wire brush in a drill?

Or put it in the recycle bin?

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Unless it's deeply pitted, it will work just fine.

Wet-sand it and wash it off in plain water, take it outside, put it on a firebrick, and heat it to a red heat with a weed-burner.

Then it will season quite easily. I use Canola Oil.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Got a Dutch oven pot, which has gotten rusty. Not a little spot of rust, nor a bit of rust, but the "got left out in the rain far too long" 100% coat of rust.

Naval Jelly to clean it up first, or just start with the wire brush in a drill?

Or put it in the recycle bin?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Old stove cleaning consisted mainly of swabbing the hot metal with vinegar-soaked rags. It turns brown rust black, and the rags get black, too...

After the pot cools, rinse off the vinegar and wipe down with any old oil, then get it up to smoking temperature to season it.

Reply to
whit3rd

I suspect that by "any old oil" you mean "any cooking oil that has not yet gone rancid." B-)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Oh, of course edible oils only need apply; not corn oil (gummy at heat), and not extra virgin olive oil, or bacon grease, but the browned canola from my deep fryer would be suitable.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've had success with my cast-iron pans (practically the only things I use to cook anymore, along with my two stamped-carbon-steel saute pans and my C.I. Dutch oven), but I don't claim any expertise. Mine were not really rusty except on the outside of the bottoms. I sprayed them with Easy-Off and bagged them in black trash bags, and then left them in the hot sun for two days. Most of the crud scraped off. Then I scrubbed them and soaked them with 1:3 Clorox solution:

('hope you don't get hung on the paywall; I'm a subscriber)

I don't know why, but the Clorox does reduce some rust. But those are not C.I. Dutch ovens. I used this on my Le Creuset Dutch oven years ago, and it worked. The ceramic on that pot cracked after 50 years. Things just don't last anymore...

Finally, with a C.I. pan that I bought 55 years ago and never cleaned much, I went at it with a sanding disk on my 4" angle-head grinder. Hmmm...not as fast as you'd think, but it did work. I was covered with black dust afterward, and it really stuck to me. I needed a shower after that.

BTW, I did not pay the obscene price for the Creuset pot, and I would not. My parents sold them in their store.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ed Huntress