restoring a cast iron dutch oven

Got a Dutch oven pot, which has gotten rusty. Not a little spot of rust, nor a bit of rust, but the "got left out in the rain far too
long" 100% coat of rust.
    Naval Jelly to clean it up first, or just start with the wire brush in a drill?
    Or put it in the recycle bin?
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote

Unless it's deeply pitted, it will work just fine.
Wet-sand it and wash it off in plain water, take it outside, put it on a firebrick, and heat it to a red heat with a weed-burner.
Then it will season quite easily. I use Canola Oil.
Joe Gwinn
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Got a Dutch oven pot, which has gotten rusty. Not a little spot of rust, nor a bit of rust, but the "got left out in the rain far too long" 100% coat of rust.
Naval Jelly to clean it up first, or just start with the wire brush in a drill?
Or put it in the recycle bin?
--
pyotr filipivich.
--------------------------
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 11:53:50 AM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Old stove cleaning consisted mainly of swabbing the hot metal with vinegar-soaked rags. It turns brown rust black, and the rags get black, too...
After the pot cools, rinse off the vinegar and wipe down with any old oil, then get it up to smoking temperature to season it.

    I suspect that by "any old oil" you mean "any cooking oil that has not yet gone rancid." B-)
--
pyotr filipivich
On Saturday, August 7, 2021 at 8:04:59 AM UTC-7, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Oh, of course edible oils only need apply; not corn oil (gummy at heat), and not extra virgin olive oil, or bacon grease, but the browned canola from my deep fryer would be suitable.
On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 2:53:50 PM UTC-4, pyotr filipivich wrote:

I've had success with my cast-iron pans (practically the only things I use to cook anymore, along with my two stamped-carbon-steel saute pans and my C .I. Dutch oven), but I don't claim any expertise. Mine were not really rust y except on the outside of the bottoms. I sprayed them with Easy-Off and ba gged them in black trash bags, and then left them in the hot sun for two da ys. Most of the crud scraped off. Then I scrubbed them and soaked them with 1:3 Clorox solution:
https://tinyurl.com/buc34abk ('hope you don't get hung on the paywall; I'm a subscriber)
I don't know why, but the Clorox does reduce some rust. But those are not C .I. Dutch ovens. I used this on my Le Creuset Dutch oven years ago, and it worked. The ceramic on that pot cracked after 50 years. Things just don't l ast anymore...
Finally, with a C.I. pan that I bought 55 years ago and never cleaned much, I went at it with a sanding disk on my 4" angle-head grinder. Hmmm...not a s fast as you'd think, but it did work. I was covered with black dust after ward, and it really stuck to me. I needed a shower after that.
BTW, I did not pay the obscene price for the Creuset pot, and I would not. My parents sold them in their store.
Good luck!
--
Ed Huntress