RF 31 vertical dial friction

Hello all,

Aside from its not being a 3 ft wide 670 lb 10x54 mill (I know there is no such thing), my biggest complaint about my 31 is that when the dial is locked to the vertical fine feed, there is a "tight spot" on every revolution. It has eased slightly over time, but it causes problems because I can't reliably feel the cutting resistance.

I have been able to remove the hand wheel, but the dial itself has yet to cooperate. Does anyone know how it is held in place and/or how to safely remove it? My hunch is that some cleaning or maybe some gentle filing will fix it, but I don't want to destroy the machine trying to get that far.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab