Dial Calipers

Recently I bought a dial caliper at the flea market. It's a Mitutoyo, and the dial is graduated in .001" increments, but it will make a complete revolution once every 0.2", instead of the usual 0.1". What is the purpose of a dial graduated this way (Zero is at both 12 and 6 o'clock)? It's a bit of a test of my vision to read it, but it was worth the 5 bucks the kid wanted.

Also, thanks to Michael Koblic for the link to Long Island Indicators. I replaced the almost opaque crystal, and now I can fail to see the small graduations a little easier. I ordered on Friday, they (supposedly) shipped it US Mail on Saturday, and it was waiting in my PO box Monday afternoon!

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That's the way our metric calipers work. I see no reason an inch set could not be built the same way. Probably easier on the gear teeth. Paul

Reply to
KD7HB

That's the way our metric calipers work. I see no reason an inch set could not be built the same way. Probably easier on the gear teeth. Paul

I bought an electronic digital calipers this year. I do not think I have used the verniers since. At my age, I love the big digits that do not require interpretation. Was on sale at Orchard Supply and Hardware for $25.

Reply to
CalifBill

It's a cheaper way to make a dial caliper.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

You are most welcome. Glad I could help.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

I'm not sure I understand the replies. A vernier caliper is definitely not the same as a dial caliper.

It seems as though it would be less simple to make the version I'm asking about, as the gear teeth are much more closely spaced on it, compared to the "full revolution" Mitutoyo I use at work.

I also have a couple of digital calipers, and I love the way they eat batteries. It is nice to be able to switch between metric and old-school with a touch of a button, though.

Since Mitutoyo offers both styles of dial (1 rev/0.1" & 1 rev/0.2"), and the prices are similar, what would cause someone to prefer the

1/0.2 version over the other one?

Perspiring minds want to know.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

(...)

For incoming inspection, I conjecture

The 1 rev/0.2" model would get your reading in about half the time of the 1 rev/0.1" model, on average. It's speedy if you don't need

+-0.003" precision.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I was taught by the QC guys (when I was fresh out of school) that 1 rev =3D .1" denoted a better, more expensive, more precise dial calipers

AND

1 rev =3D .1" calipers were less prone to introducing measurement errors in "the shop" when used as a shared or borrowed tool

(insert horror stories about users of .1" calipers using .2" calipers & making a mistake.....a measurement off by .1")

Over the years I've only seen one or two 1 rev =3D .2" calipers in actual use....everyone (including me) had .1" type, I assumed them to de facto industry standard for dial calipers?

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

fftt wrote in news:1ad00637-7019-406d-8bee- snipped-for-privacy@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have a 0.2" per rev dial caliper. It's a Swiss made Helios, and it served me well until I got a digital Mitutoyo. I bought it used from a guy who reconditioned & calibrated measurement tools. I was a student, and it was cheap. I always assumed that the 0.1" versions required better & more expensive gears.

I seem to recall screwing up a measurement by 0.1" at least once or twice.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

[snip]

OK, thanks for the replies, but I'm not sure I'm going to get an answer to my question - possibly because there is no real answer.

I don't see "speedy", as the slide has to travel the same distance, regardless of the dial graduations, etc. The graduations are .001", in any case.

The graduations on this caliper are still in increments of .001", but since the dial makes half the revolutions as "standard", the graduations are just a lot closer together (twice as close, in fact). You can check out Mitutoyo's page here:

look for their model 505-717 (the 4th page, I think); click on the "image" link. That is basically what I have, just an older version. Even the accuracy is the same as my other, single rev, unit.

It works, and reads, identically to the 1 rev/.1". I just don't understand why a maker would find it advantageous to make (or a user to buy) the 1 rev/.2" style. (Why not 1 rev/.05", etc?) There has to be a market for them, but what is it?

I know, it's prolly irrelevant, but still...

Again, I appreciate you guys' replies. I'm just being a tad pedantic, I guess.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Not entirely so.

1) You need better eyesight to note the movement of 0.001" on the 0.200" per revolution dials. And it is more difficult to interpolate between two markings since they are closer together.

2) I've had examples of both styles apart, and in my limited experience, the 0.200"/rev ones have a single gear on the shaft of the pointer.

The 0.100"/rev ones have an extra gear, so the pointer moves faster. (You can't make the same pitch gear enough smaller to get 0.100"/rev with a single pickoff gear without going to a much finer gear pitch, which again is more expensive to make.

This extra gear probably costs more to make, so the 0.200"/rev ones can sell for less.

Cheaper -- for both. The maker can sell more calipers -- to those who can't afford the 0.100"/rev version. At some point in their working life (especially as apprentices) the extra cost makes a big difference.

That one would require a bit more thinking to use -- just as a micrometer does with 0.025"/rev -- even ignoring the use of the vernier scale. This is why I prefer leadscrew dials with 0.100" per revolution, too.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols