Saw Horses used for assembly stands

Some years ago I needed a good way to support steel bars that were to be
welded, collared, etc.. to make gates and railings.
Things needed to be really flat for several reasons, which, I'm sure
are obvious to most of you.
I used some saw horses that I have had in my shop for years, but it
was hard to keep them from moving since the floor was not perfectly
flat. Also, as I moved around the area with my helmet on, I'd
occassionally kick a leg and knock the whole thing out of alignment. To
get things perfectly level, I had to constantly be shimming the
components, by as little as 25 thou here and there to make up for all
the variables.
I chose to make some adjustable 3-Legged saw horses which solved the
uneven floor problem and eliminated the need for shims. By uneven, I
mean uneven by only a sixteenth of an inch or so in 4 feet.
My mentor Bob Walsh, from Pepin Wisconsin also showed me how to make
and use "winding sticks" to make certain that both beams of the saw
horses were parallel (in the same plane).
Here's where you can learn more about it:

Pete Stanaitis
---------------------------
Reply to
spaco
Hey Pete,
Thanks for that. Good idea. I don't see how this will keep anyone from "tripping" over a leg, but for many of the jobs I do they are a good idea just the same.
It took me quite a ways into the details to realize that the term "winding" is not as in "to wind" like fishing reel, but as "wind" like in a breeze. This is one of the planes of wood distortion as in wind, warp, and woof although many other words are synonymous.
Thanks again.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Very nice! Saved for building.
Of course...after welding..we only have to worry about bending out all the warpages.
Gunner
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Reply to
Gunner Asch
When assembling my wings, I just put a blob of Bondo under the legs and leveled them. It breaks loose easily when you are done.
Reply to
cavelamb
I used planks held in B&D Workmates to weld scaffold frames on a rutted and sloping driveway. With the tops of both planks level and parallel the frames built on them were flat even though one plank was half a foot lower than the other.
jsw
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Nope, it's 'winding' like the fishing reel. As in there is no 'wind' or spiral to the whole thing. I used them regularly to adjust my chainsaw lumber mill for the first cut. It take out the spiral but also works great to get things flat between one end and the other. I commonly put one stick every 4' or so on a 16' plank.
Brian Laws> Hey Pete,
Reply to
RoyJ
That sounds like a good idea, too. I already have 2 B&D workmates, so that would be easy for me to do.
Pete Stanaitis -----------------
Jim Wilk>
Reply to
spaco
Good point. I still can trip over the legs, but since there are only three legs, the things still don't wobble. And, since these steel horses are quite a bit heavier than their wooden counterparts, they tend to stay still better. Lastly, since there are only three legs, you have a 25% better chance of missing a leg with a toe. This may not be a problem for many of you, but I have wear a size 14 1/2 shoe, and, when I'm really into what I'm doing, I don't pay enough attention to where my feet are.
Pete Stanaitis --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian Laws> Hey Pete,
--------------------------
Reply to
spaco
Yes, very interesting and useful.
I can see how the vertical leg is attached, but can't quite make out how you attached the two back legs. Care to elaborate?
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB
Sorry, Paul. Although I hadn't meant this to be an actual construction article, I knew in the back of my mind that I could have done better. So I have added the detail that I think you will need.
Go to the same place:
Thanks for the "heads up", Pete Stanaitis
KD7HB wrote:
Reply to
spaco
That is what is needed. Looks like the back legs could just be pinned with a cotter or something to keep the pin in place. Probably a little more surdy with a through bolt.
Paul
Reply to
KD7HB

Site Timeline