Drill Stands wanted

Where can I buy Drill Stands ?

no not the ones mentioned a few posts further up the list that hold your black and decker drill to make it into a little pillar drill . no thats not what I want

I want the one thats a block full of holes , you stand it on your bench and put all your drill bits in it , in order so you can find them easy.

I managed to find one on Ebay to hold number drills from 1-60

Now I want one for the letter drills Imperial drills , in 1/64" increments and metric drills in 1/10th of a mm steps

I did google searches but I cant find one anywhere

Any ideas ?

regards Don

Reply to
Don Recardo

More normally called a drill index, I think.

(not mine)

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Four candles? :)

Beautiful.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

What has 4 candles got to do with drill stands ?

Regards

Don

Reply to
Don Recardo

He didn't mean 4 candles he meant fork 'andles :)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Don have you looked at Chronos for the drill stands - they have drill sets in cases

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

A block of hard wood, plastic or metal then drill the appropriate hole sizes.

Reply to
campingstoveman

campingstoveman wrote: >> I want the one thats a block full of holes , you stand it on your bench >> and put all your drill bits in it , in order so you can find them easy.

or even some large candles - lay them on their side, and push the drill bit in to the wax (just after use so they're warm)

:.D

Reply to
bigegg

Simple really!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

I just got a block of ali. and used the drills to drill their holes to stand them in.

Reply to
Neil.Ellwood

But be careful what type of wood you use. Some woods tend to rust steel -resulting in drills stuck in blocks of wood. Trouble is, I can't remember which ones you should use -I'm sure someone will know.

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

Oak is not good for this job - the tannin rusts nails, so will undoubtedly ruin drill bits.

Pine is OK (but won't last long, because it's a soft wood)

Ash wood be a good choice - got a broken pickaxe or sledgehammer handle?

Reply to
bigegg

In message , Kevin Steele writes

Oak is one of them - It is my understanding that "nail sickness" in clinker built boats is as much to do with the rapid rusting of steel fixings in oak as it is to do with 'working' of the planks at sea.

Reply to
Mike H

Steele

Should be copper rivets in wooden boat planks not steel.

There was the case (true story) of a certain boatyard in the Solent commissioned to make an aluminium tender for the first time, and being used to working in timber naturally used copper rivets to hold it together. When launched it fizzed a bit which puzzled them, then a few days later it spung a catastrophic leak. When they worked out why they learnt a lot about the electrochemical series and electrolysis

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

from bigegg

Elm would be a much better choice. The grain on Elm is random so you would avoid the potential problem of the webs between each hole breaking away.

JG

Reply to
JG

To be honest, I can't see the point of the block of stuff solutio

beyond a few drills. Don wants them neatly arranged for 1/64". You hav a few solutions:

1) Be Patient and wait for them on eBay, they do turn up 2) Buy a set of 'junk' drills - they really do go for a tenner at show and ebay. Consign the 'junk' to a drawer for roughing work where siz and wear isn't much of an issue and use your nice new box for what ar presumably high quality drills

Without too much effort on ebay here is an example: 300033744892

Yes, I know it's 15 quid with p&p, but I'd be surprised if somethin cheaper isn't out there.

Alternatively: 7613888335 or 7588674987 (a bit plasticky)

Final thought, Tracey Tools might well be able to help

-- Myford Mat

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Myford Matt's Profile:

this thread:

Myford Matt

Matt, this (your No2) was inded the route I took but by necessity rather than design, the first set of "quality" drills I bought were complete crap but at least the box is still doing some good. The other way I had thought that you might get someting useful is to buy a set of "drill gauges" from someone like Chronos (a few pounds each I think) and using them as the top of a stand. For most of my drills up to

5/8ths I found some good strong clear plastic boxes that I use. For drills larger than that I have just drilled holes in some pine shelving in a wall cupboard which I varnished really well and then put another shelf about 2" below it so that I could stand the drills in the holes. This has been in use for about 10 years with no sign of rusting.

Best regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

Listening the discussion, it really seems to be hard to get something like this in the UK:

They do have them from 1..5mm and 5.1 .. 10mm in 0.1 mm increments. They cost so little, that I wouldn't even touch a saw to cut the wood for.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Postage may be a bit more, but I like this one:- 250033257098. Trouble is the robbing b*stid has got a reserve on it.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Try The Toolbox at Colyton

) . Last time I was in they had several though one less when I left :-)

hth

Reply to
Roland Craven