Wanted: pillar drill

I've been looking for a decent floor standing pillar drill on eBay but they always seem to be zillions of miles away from Hampshire. Does
anyone know of any machinery auctions coming up in the South?
Dave

I don't know about auctions but what about G M Tools in west Sussex; http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/ I've bought kit from them in the past and was very happy.
-- Nige Danton
Nige Danton wrote:

Thanks, I'd looked at the Home & Workshop site but forgotten about G&M - but buying from a dealer would not be first choice.

I don't know about auctions but what about G M Tools in west Sussex; http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/ I've bought kit from them in the past and was very happy.
In http://homeworkshop.org.uk/latest.html this morning, there is a dealer offering large numbers for 60+

PPbid.com
snipped-for-privacy@ems-fife.co.uk wrote:

Thanks - nothing at the mo but that's certainly a site that's worth checking regularly

Check out www.apexauctions.com
Rick... (The other Rick)
Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end "for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]
Rick... (The other Rick) wrote:

Thanks, another site worth watching regularly.

See adverts from Steve Lilliman of Mansfield on www.homeworkshop.org.uk. He has a lot for sale and I think he may deliver. Tom.
tomol wrote:

Thanks. I just had a long chat to him. He seemed like a decent bloke so I've bought a Denford pillar drill on trust and it should be here on Monday. Cost of shipping is a bit steep but it solves the problem - unless it turns-out to be a pile of crap. I'll report back once it's arrived.
Dave
NoSpam wrote:

The drill just arrived. It's a Denford Viceroy "20" with 4-step pulleys and a dual voltage motor. It seems to be in pretty good condition and runs smoothly. The only surprise is that it's a little lower than I was expecting after using a bench drill for years - are all Viceroys about 1220 to the bottom of the spindle? Also, the carrier for the spindle pulley has a some amount of vertical movement, is there an easy way to adjust this?
Dave
On or around Mon, 09 Mar 2009 20:17:37 +0000, NoSpam

depends what size and what work you want it to do. In the end I got bored with trying to get a good one cheap, and bought a cheap new one, from Axminster - "Perform" brand lightweight radial arm. However, if I need to drill anything big, I have a bigger one. I wouldn't have got such a light/cheap machine as a single pillar drill, it struggles with much over a 10mm hole in steel, and doesn't really have enough speeds for bigger than that anyway.
The white Axminster branded stuff seems quite good for the money, though, and can be got for not much more than a decent quality s/h one - bearing in mind that a decent quality one that's cheap is also going to be old and probably well-used, and may need remedial work to get it back to good order.
Such things as Meddings or Fobco etc. if not too old and in good nick fetch big money.
By the time you factor in the hassle of going to look at things, then going and collecting them, unless you get lucky, the advantages of a new machine with guarantee and delivery included add up...
On 10 Mar, 20:12, Austin Shackles

True, some while ago i went to three auctions looking for a decent 14 x 40 lathe or similar. All were high priced crap plus 20 % auction fees plus VAT, so two people x 3 auctions worked out to 6 full working days lost.
Following week rang TOS up and ordered a new lathe to be delivered to the door. Best thing I ever did, should have done it before even stepping foot out the door and wasting a week just looking.
John S.