Weight of a Solberga SE4 drill press ?

I have the opportunity to buy a Solberga SE4 gear head, floor standing drill press. Does anyone know how much these weigh? Is it possible to tilt the drill press and then slide it into the back of a pickup?

Reply to
Albert1234

No idea about the weight, but one way to deal with such things is to bring some sturdy, long lumber and lots of C-clamps to make long handles. One could tip in perhaps 500 lbs or more safely that way, solo.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Looking at a picture of an SE4 on eBay I'd guess it should weigh around

300-350 pounds. Run your table all the way down and use a chain or heavy non-streching rope between the front center of the truck bed and the column at the height of the truck bed. Don't hook to the top of the machine, it'll loosen-up too much when you tip and you'll find yourself trying to muscle all the weight. If this is done properly it should be almost impossible for it to fall backward and it should balance fairly well at this point. The tendency of the machine will be to twist the head into a downward position, which you'll want to overcome. In the pix it looks as though you should twist it so the left side of the head is down (put tarps or cardboard under the head to cushion). One last thing. Double check the tightness of the head and base to the column. I've seen more than one drill press head and base loosen-up when tipped and twisted in this manner.

Good luck, dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger