Magnetic Starters

Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and they do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.

Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only 2 of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety downside?

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary
2 | of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a | manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety | downside? | | Thanks, | Ivan Vegvary

I'm having a hard time finding a "good" reason at all for doing such a thing. If there happens to be a short on the unprotected leg, and you're that short, I doubt that you'll be in any condition to turn it off. Free isn't worth your life or health. Save it for a 220V device. Starters aren't expensive, and on ebay even cheaper. I'm sure some on the list might have some they'll send you just for shipping.

Reply to
carl mciver

Reply to
Mr.Shadow

Hey Ivan,

Assuming these each have two poles, why not install two of them side by side, and you'll have the three you need plus a spare. Some instances, that fourth one is usefully anyway, as the "self-holding" contact.

Do these have overload heaters?

Take care.

Brian Laws>Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and they

Reply to
Brian Lawson

You may be able to replace some components within the starter to switch to three phase. I'm not an electrician, but frequently these things have standard mountings...

If not, I agree with Carl. Think about the guy that has to pull your butt off that machine as you're being electrocuted...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.