Elliott Bench drill Model 16

Evenin' All,

I've been offered an Elliott bench pillar drill. It will be about a 300 mile round trip to go and see it and the chap who has it now has never run it under power as he has not got 3 phase so can't comment on it's performance.

Does anyopne know this machine? It has 4 speeds, claims 1/2 inch capacity yet only sports a 1/3rd HP motor. Is it a gutless wonder? I've used Elliott progress drills and they seem built like brick sh*thouses. I don't mind doing a bit of reburbishment but only if the original machine is worthwhile.

Any experience/guidance welcome.

So far googling for 'elliott drill 16' has not turned anything useful up

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Bob,

That's certainly a play on words "bench pillar drill". It's a bit like owning a hatchback estate.

Elliott's were one of the home grown Generic brand of drills along with the Fobco and the Meddings. Most of these makers did a 'light' version as well as the standard one, usually in bench model only. Most pillar drills were the larger heavier model.

1/3Hp on 3 phase would have been adequate for this. You'll probably have to go up to 1/2Hp on single phase to keep it spinning sweet.

G&M are showing a picture.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Can send specs from a Elliott cat if had address.. Tom

Reply to
John

performance.

Thanks John