Where to obtain small amounts of steel for home machining - North Staffs?

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any contacts, suppliers etc. for small pieces of steel for machining at home? I was looking for a small length (around 200mm) of 35 X 25 or closest commercial size in something like 230MO7. Ideally somebody in North staffs or South Cheshire would be ideal as I could collect because postage on heavy items is expensive. I seem to remember somebody mentioning a supplier near to Crewe but I can`t think where I had this info from. Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey

I've found Folkstone Engineering ver good and a good deal on the P&P unlike some others I've dealt with. Certainly worth a phone call to check.

Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Not what you want to hear necessarily, but...

Don't buy short lengths unless you have no alternative. Go to someone like Macready's :-

or look for steel stockholders in the yellow pages and buy full lengths. If you buy more than 50-60kg at a time the price comes down further usually.

or look for "engineer's merchants possibly" to find a general engineering firm on an industrial estate near you with a box of offcuts.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

You're probably not that far from Macclesfield. Macc Model Engineers Supplies Ltd are a friendly outfit. Tel 01625 611800.

Reply to
Seymour Swarf

Reply to
Don Recardo

are very reasonable and will sell you any ammount you want, right down to an inch long

or you could try

Metal Supermarket - Redditch Metal Supermarkets - Livingston Metal Supermarkets - West Bromwich Metal Supermarkets - Manchester Metal Supermarkets (Coventry) - Coventry Metal Supermarkets (Gateshead) - Gateshead Metal Supermarkets (Govan) - Glasgow Metal Supermarkets (Manchester) - Manchester Metal Supermarkets (Southampton) - Southampton Metal Supermarkets Park Royal - London

They are not as cheap but have branches all over the place

Don

Reply to
Don Recardo

I live in Cheadle Staffs.

I often get steel from a local fabricator (only a mile from my door)

G Johnson Engng Tel: 01538 756272 Park Hall Fm Adderley, Cheadle, Stoke On Trent ST10 2NJ

(they are usually open all Saturday and often Sunday

I never had much luck in Stoke - particularly small quantities, but I have used Eggleston Bros in Derby. Note they close at 10 on Sat morning

Also

Gratton Model Engineering Whitaker Street Derby DE23 8FD Tel: 01332 349799

Regards

Dave Burrage

Reply to
david.burrage

Thanks for the replies.

I`ve now got one or two leads to follow.

Cheers

Paul

Reply to
paul.morrey