Seeking 4" dial capiper

Yeah, if all I wanted was a 4" dial caliper, I'd just have to walk in to my shop because I already have one (Enco brand).

But I have a few additional requirements that wouldn't fit in the subject line: Material: Steel Range: 0-4" Range per revolution: 0.1" Must have thumb roller, not just thumb rest. Prefer white dial.

I suppose I'd settle for a digital, but I really prefer the mechanical for this one.

The problem with the one I have is that it only has a thumb rest, not a roller.

Starret doesn't show on their website. Enco didn't show any on their site either Neither did Granger.

Am I out of luck or did I miss something?

TIA Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Mitutoyo model 505-674. Thumb roller maybe an option but definitely available.

Reply to
tomcas

"Norm Dresner" wrote in news:bRWyf.486685$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

They are all Stainless Steel AFAIK.

Fowler has one, but no roller. You might check a newer catalog. Mitutoyo is .200" per rev on their 4". But they have a nice 4" digital with the roller for around $115.00

I think you are out of luck outside of a Chinese caliper. Or settle for .2/rev. from Mitutoyo. As far as I know Brown & Sharpe, Tesa, and Etalon don't make a 4" caliper. Mitutoyo is good and I've used their 4" and it's OK. Starrett doen't make a 4" and I'm not wild about their dial calipers anyway. Peacock used to make one, but I don't think they make dial calipers anymore. They weren't exactly top quality either, but decent for the money.

Reply to
D Murphy

I started this quest on eBay and there was nothing that fit my requirements!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Or here. I know they have them, because I have one, but I couldn't locate it in a 1 minute look. Mine came form New England Brass Company at NAMES last year.

Brian Lawson

OK-what am I missing here? Lots of 6" calipers out there, probably a few that meet your "requirements". Find the one that is perfect except for the length, and whack 2" off of it.

Reply to
BILL MARRS

If you remember my original post, I already have a 4" dial caliper where I relaxed by requirements by giving up the thumb roller!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Maybe it's just my dyslexia, but I couldn't find a single dial caliper on the Fowler site, just digital versions!

I'll check some retail sellers.

Thanks anyway

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Yup. Maybe I should just buy a 12" caliper and cut in into thirds to make three 4" ones?

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

According to Norm Dresner :

Well ... back in the 1970s Helios once made a 4" dial caliper with a roller. But what it does *not* have is a proper set of "horns" for inside measurements. Instead, it has a set of steps on the ends of the normal jaws, which start ID measurements at 0.200". But -- it was

0.200" per revolution.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"Norm Dresner" wrote in news:bRWyf.486685$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Sorry for necromancing this old post, but I just came across a 4" dial caliper on Ebay that looks like it fits the bill.

.100/rev., 4 way measure, thumb roller, and your choice of black or white dial.

Item number 7587963984

Looks Chinese though. But it's only $18.00 including shipping.

Reply to
D Murphy

Wow! Thanks!

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

If you look closely, you will see that there are two different calipers shown in the pictures. One has a roller, one doesn't. I asked the seller about this and got no response....Paul

Reply to
PJ

"PJ" wrote in news:OdxFf.18101$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.ams:

I noticed that, but I figure he probably has both types sice he has pictures of both. If it were me, I'd BIN and tell him I want the one with the roller. At that point it's up to him to come clean if he can't deliver.

For 18 bucks delivered I'd prolly learn to like what I got. Speaking of which, I never cared for digital calipers much. But someone listed a 6" Mahr, new in the plastic, with a BIN of 15 bucks. Another 10 bucks for shipping. I have a feeling I'm going to like this digital caliper. It was only on there twenty minutes before I snagged it, I wasn't looking to buy a digital caliper but a new Mahr for 25 bucks? Done deal. Now the long wait to see if I've been screwed somehow.

Reply to
D Murphy