riding mower blower

"The Kid" is moving into his first house. He's got a couple acres (out of six total) to mow and a long driveway to blow.

He's shopping in the very old to antique category. Can anyone recommend a particularly well made old unit? There's lots to choose from on Craig's list. Especially old craftsman and john deere 110 for example.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

x?}TMoÔ0½çW?¥RÙR?PU? !!µgo2Oð?æßóÆ) =ÀJ+ÅóÆïÃîºG?ÉÙ?ª?nënÝÀEIj¡b;öD??¦0úB¹&r}Åzb?#uØ3aËý?¦?ûþY?urä×?/®??JvI§ $h,»pFG/~V)ovqû20)àèòpB? /A¨ñU#éÝÉx?ÞVÞgæüGvù7`FÅ.¢æd B ???Ô???Y*d §t§r%Y?5»7??g?´°?t?­ºmîº{ð3?J³â??UáÜ????Ù3ø6µOR¸áÁ(w,4ä`???ß`Yã±J¥??/?#±õ=ÔâÍa´®ø?®?»;?e çªò?óøÀèÉ ÕØýÕe³ÔòÓÌIq ôý²ÒìF6w?s¬7]çK?o®®?eÙëìzÙK¯úzØû2uÝW£8éB ?úûëºî³?eIÊ8?Á?ïÂû#

Reply to
spaco

Power King, Cub Cadet, John Deere all made good tractors.

The PK is a bare bones tractor that is built TOUGH.

Reply to
Steve W.

I have a Deere 110 that I bought used about 10 years ago. It runs great and despite it's 10 HP rating, that cast iron Kohler engine has at least the power of today's over hyped "18 HP" machines. I also had a problem with it once and an email to Kohler at about 2pm one day got a reply at about 9am the next day with links to full PDF manuals and parts lists for the 32yr old engine. Got to love a company that supports it's old products that well.

For blowers, I have an ordinary Echo blower that seems to work fine. For other stuff like trimmers and chain saws I recommend Shindaiwa.

Reply to
Pete C.

Be especially careful with used riders with hydrostatic transmissions. Manual transmissions last decades with little attention, but inattention to maintenance can kill a hydrostat really quickly.

Reply to
Pete C.

Except for the B&S engine I have to make replacement parts for my mid

80's Sears/Roper garden tractor. Sears no hay.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Massey Harris Pony, Ford Golden Jubilee, Farmall Cub (or "A", or even an 8N. Perhaps a 550 Oliver or an Allis D45? - not sure of the number anymore - shuttle clutch jobbie. Or even an International B414. Put Terra Tires on for the lawn work.

Even neater would be an Allis "G" with a belly mower, but it's not so great for moving snow.

Reply to
clare

I've got a Jubilee and an 8N. He's already trying to talk me out of a tractor. He's after the ford 3600.

Now, I'd love to own an Allis "G". Those things are as rare as hen's teeth these days.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Cub Cadet. Not the Lowes consumer variety, the heavier ones with power steering and 3-pt hitch. Mine is a 1862 model, made about 2000. I think it will be my last mower, because it's good enough to keep it running.

48" deck, hydrostatic

Farmall Cub Lo-Boy (yellow and white) with 60" belly-mower Real iron tractor engine. You can get a very nice one for under $3000 Takes Class 1 hitch, snowblowers, front blades. Might be too big for 2 acres. Good Yahoo group

Reply to
RBnDFW

I see you were referring to a snowblower, I tend to forget about those things now that I've bailed out of the frozen northeast.

The Deere 110 has front mount points for attachments (I have a small plow). Since this is the metalworking group, I'd suggest finding a good old Ariens snowblower with a dead engine and adapting it to run off the

110. Should be a pretty easy project.
Reply to
Pete C.

I've always been partial to Gravelys. The 20 - 30 year old ones that run well bring around $400-$500 with some accessories the last I looked. Mostly direct gear drive with very few belts.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

If you can find a Bolens tube-frame tractor, they are totally indestructible. I have a 1968 model with a 12 Hp Wisconsin one-lung engine. The updraft carburetor got all messed up so I put a Honda motorcycle carb on it with some improvised linkage, and an electric fuel pump. it runs great. I added a bullet-style muffler, too. The mower deck is a 3-blade unit, driven by gearbox and u-joint shaft from the PTO. Mine has a 6-speed transmission. I got the tiller attachment with it, it is FAR tougher than anything sold today. I had the chance to buy a two-stage snow blower for it, but couldn't figure out how it worked. Later I finally realized it went on the BACK of the tractor, not the front. Not the most convenient way to use the attachment, it seems to me.

I used to be able to buy parts, but Bolens has shut down. Supposedly Troy-Bilt has picked up the parts but I don't know if that is true.

This is nothing like the Craftsman crap and the home-grade Deere stuff.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson