Roll Pins?

I took apart the old rip fence for my Shopsmith after upgrading to the latest model. They used a number of small roll pins, and it occured to me that I could use them in some of my own designs.

The main reason I don't is that I don't have a stash handy, so I use other approaches. This could be solved somewhat by getting an assortment to keep on hand.

So, I looked into what is out there. There are quite a few variations, in design, material, strength, etc. In the past, I've had good luck with coiled ones installing a little easier than split ones, and I'm partial to stainless because I live in a humid area.

I'm thinking about getting 420 SS pins because they are magnetic, so the small ones will be easier to retrieve when dropped.

Any experts out there with suggestions or comments? I'd mostly be using them as an alternative to dowel pins for alignment, and as crosspins in shafts.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

DOug

I think you will find the SS pins NOT magnetic.

BTW I have a supply of pins and if I need an assortment I would order them from McMaster-Carr. mcmaster.com.

Thay are certainly not expensive.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Note that he specified 420 SS, which *is* a magnetic alloy. It is the 300 series of SS which is non-magnetic.

Indeed.

Though for pinning shafts (one of his stated uses), I prefer tapered pins instead. (It helps that I got a nice set of Cleveland Taper Pin reamers at a hamfest quite a few years ago -- with only one size having a chipped flute, so I bought a Cleveland replacement for that one, and was still way ahead on money spent. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

$5.99 for 120 Spring steel roll pins.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news:K_ydnZJCkKRRhb_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Certainly a start, but I'll probably never use anything much larger than

3/16" diameter.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White
[ ... ]

I had not realized that they were so widespread. I just found a half dozen within 45 minutes (if I avoid rush hour), and one likely within 10 minutes.

[ ... ]

O.K. I have to ask -- what are "HT knobs"?

A guess -- handi-talkie? One of the little 2-meter rigs?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yes, Handie talkie, but UHF commercial, not two meter. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You never know where you'll find a use for them, if you have them on hand. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell